Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stealing Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stealing Fuel

Those locking caps will not keep a thief out.
I believe that depends on how smart or determinedthe thief is. The only reason I still have my GTX is the fact that the thief couldn't get the key part of the cap out of the filler neck. It was on the news tonight that they're just drilling holes in the tanks.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Drew
Professional

gassers have that ball. . .diesels do not since it causes the fuel to foam up more.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Locking Chrome Fuel Door. Even keeps me out good! (lost the keys already once)

Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
MikesCTD

Around here the fuel theives have been hitting the Uhaul places and other trucking firms. They just punch a hole in the bottom of the tank and get the job done quick. Heard one owner say that if they need fuel that bad they should just come and ask, they would gladly give them 5gal instead of having the tank punched.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Sounds dumb but when looking at locking caps do diesels need to make sure they have the Cali venting? I konw the hemi's will toss a code on the newer trucks.

(one night I got a panicky message from a Hemi buddy because his check engine light was on...after teaching him the 3 key trick got the code - ran it here and asked him if he had a. gotten gas that day or b. but a new gas cap on. He'd put a none venting locking gas cap on and it tripped the code. Put his stock cap back on and his truck was happy)

Old 05-01-2008, 10:42 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

Sounds dumb but when looking at locking caps do diesels need to make sure they have the Cali venting? I konw the hemi's will toss a code on the newer trucks.

(one night I got a panicky message from a Hemi buddy because his check engine light was on...after teaching him the 3 key trick got the code - ran it here and asked him if he had a. gotten gas that day or b. but a new gas cap on. He'd put a none venting locking gas cap on and it tripped the code. Put his stock cap back on and his truck was happy)

cali venting?? I did the vent kit on mine and recall only 2 lines to the tank... 1 feed & 1 return.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM
KenZ
Veteran

Just seen on the news last night that the thieves are just punching holes in the tanks and not bothering to siphon. Most cars/trucks these days have plastic tanks and they are easy to poke a drain hole thru. They also talked about farmers who have there big diesel tanks drained and semi drivers who had there tanks siphoned while sitting at the truck stop. They even had one guy drive his truck (dodge wouldn't you know) into a closed gas station, unlock the pumps and steal 200 gallons of gas. According to the story its not the guys stealing gas for there own ride, they are stealing it and resellling it. And the higher the price goes the worse this is going to be.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Mayfair
Legend

This blew me away

I heard that sometimethis week some thieves went into a laundry mat and stole the hoses from the washers to use for syphoning gas. Not only did they steal gas, but they also flooded out the laundry mat

I remember when I was a kid in the 70's and they were stealing gas my Dad had 2 hoses stolen from in front of our house. They were used for the same thing.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
gtxpooch
All Star

2 hoses stolen from in front of our house. They were used for the same thing.
Mayfair, That's what they used to call an Oklahoma credit cardNo offense intended or expressed to past or present Oklahomans

Old 05-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Purcell

I remember this in the mid 70's, the county went to locking the caps on school buses and thieves would ice pick the tank and drain. Also there are a limited number of key combinations for the caps also. I would rather they steal the fuel and not put a hole in the tank. Just my two cents worth.

Quick Reply: Stealing Fuel