Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

OT some anyways...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 PM
SpLaT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT some anyways...

Gonna see if ya'll can help me here... Got a 2001 Chev 2500HD 4x4 6.0l gasser (wife's truck now she pulls her and daughters show horses around, gets great mileage and rides like a cloud). The ole girl has just over 220,000 miles on her (regular oil/filter changes mostly hiway miles) anyways she has developed her first oil leak... rear seal!! Need to know how difficult its going to be to change it out? Also due to the extremly heavy exhaust system the right side exhaust manifold has cracked under the stress of that exhaust system, and I gotta replace down stream O2 sensor. Now, I know bad things usually come in threes, so hopefully we can get another 50k plus miles out of it. Motor is still pretty strong yet.. getting 145 to 170 psi on compression test on all cylinders, shes never had anything major go wrong with it till now ...

So, if anyone has experience in the rear seal replacement let me know how ya did it?

Thanks

Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 AM
burban2002
Veteran
Default RE: OT some anyways...

I looked over at FSC and when one guy did it, he had to drop the tranny. Check to make sure the oil cooler lines are not leaking because they tie in at the back of the engine too. One other thing to check is the oil pressure switch which can have leaks around it too.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:38 AM
SpLaT
Captain

Thanks burban2002, I knew I'd get some feedback here, never ceases to amaze me how much the Dodge guys know and are willing to help out!! Been to numerous chebby forums only to dozens of hits but no replys, gets me to wondering if they just buy new trucks instead of repairing them!!

Gonna be busy tomorrow, got get me some degreaser and pull some skid plates, got my fingers crossed that its a simple cooler line or pressure sender as you suggested! Thanks again!!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 AM
burban2002
Veteran

No sweat man. Let me know what you find[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Well with 367451km or 229657miles washed the engine down (never seen it so clean cept for when she was new)found the oil pan was loose?, replaced tranny cooling line (to cooler) oil press switch tight, oil cooler lines were wet tightened... changed oil took her out for a good long high speed run... get her home found oil leaks (small at bell housing and drip or two from start area. Looks like rear seal!! [:@]

Thanks again

Quick Reply: OT some anyways...