Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Temp gauge rise's and fall's when pulling??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:56 PM
SC Willie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge rise's and fall's when pulling??

Runs about 190 or 195 (H2O temp) normally then when pulling trailer up a hill it goes to 200 or slightly above.I can be pulling a hill for 1/8 mile and the enigine will have a temp increase. I have superchip and this is in the tow mode. I wanted other CTD's owners advice on this....Thansk!!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:30 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Temp gauge rise's and fall's when pulling??

that's completely normal. As long as you don't see the water temp gauge going over 220F. If you're doing a lot of pulling... it would behove you to get a trans temp gauge and a EGT gauge. Using the SC is adding power and changing the parameters of your truck. It's really the EGT you should be worried about. If you're seeing your water temp raise... that's a good indication the EGT's are pretty high too. Too high for too long is gonna cause some problems with your truck. A trans cooler might be a good idea too if towing a lot. Especially when there's lots of grades to traverse

Old 05-04-2008, 09:27 PM
YAMAHARIDER5
Professional

yeah its normal. and i second triton you need trans and egt gauges regardless and if you are pulling then you should definitly have them. Hey triton i didnt knw you lived in nc where in nc do you live im below ashville which is an hour from charlotte. sorry for jacking the thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

It's really the EGT you should be worried about.
Unless you have a 53 block.

Quick Reply: Temp gauge rise's and fall's when pulling??