Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

tranny slip

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
blownsoot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny slip

Most people seem concerned about it, but I have a couple questions.
How much is bad?
Will any ruin the tranny or can they handle a limited amount?
Which is worst band slippage or converter clutch slippage?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: tranny slip

It's gonna have some slip to it, it's the repeated effects that really take their toll.

You'll see it slip in two different areas....

1 - Under hard accelleration, you'll see more band slippage than TC. This is because the TC hasn't locked up and the bands can't clamp pastenough.

2 - You see TC slippage under hheavy loads or high power once it's locked.

One thing I try to do to prevent / mitigate it a bit is really watch how much throttle I get into in that 2nd to 3rd gear shift. That's where I see the most slippage.

Also, if you're in that 45 - 55 MPH range and it goes from 4th (TC Locked) to 3rd, you'll see quite a bit.

I try to drive mine almost all the time in T/H mode, just for the higher line pressure and firmer shifts.

I rarely see my tranny temp over 180 and the ONLY time I've had it hit 200 was towing a couple 8K+ trailers up into North Alabama.

But, I'm also tired of babying it, so it's gonna be making a trip to Sun Coast here real soon. It's only a 4 hr ride for me.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
blownsoot

I did a 1/4 mile performance test on the banks yesterday and in the last 2 seconds my speed stayed at 87 but my exhaust temp kept climbing and rpms kept climbing. After the test when I would get on it on the freeway with the converter locked the rpms would climb200 to 300then slowly come down as the trucks speed went up. The last thing I want to do is smoke my tranny at this point.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Ben D.
Champion

yea definately getting some slippage there buddy. a bit more than what would be normal. I would maybe turn down the banks tuner a bit. this is a frequent discussion but you gotta pay to play. and if you are worreid about paying for a new tranny then I would just set her back to a lower level or stock. because other than that no one can garantee you will be Ok.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 AM
blownsoot

I usually run in level 3 but had a wild hair and decided to see what 5 would do, after the tranny cooled down it hasn't had anymore slippage.

Quick Reply: tranny slip