Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

RE: ON THE BOOST ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:14 PM
olegoofynut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ON THE BOOST ISSUE

Let me explain a little more. After I coast down a hill or around a turn and come into the throttle I have no boost. Some times it will kick in a few seconds later but other times I have to down shift and wait for it to come in. It just started to do this a week ago and it does not do it all the time.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Well just to make sure you got all the obvious stuff out of the way. did you check your intake tubes from turbo to manifold to make sure one isn't cracked or popped off. Sometimes they come off just enough for you to lose low end boost but still enough where "some high end boost" can "jump the gap" and give you pressure.

I know there is a a way to check the wastegate as well but I've never had to so I haven't thought about how to....

Old 05-09-2008, 04:47 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

You do know that just because you raise your RPM's, that doesn't mean your boost will be the same right. Your turbo will boost in relation to how much load is on the engine. For example, if you sit in the driveway and rev the engine to 3000 rpms, you are not going to see a lot of boost pressure. Now if you are on the road driving on a flat or up hill surface and you fuel it up to 3000 RPM and put a load on the engine, your Boost pressure will come up as much as needed to feed the intake.
At least thats how my truck responds. I can sit in nuetral and put the pedal to the floor and I have very little boost. But if I put it in gear, step on the brake and give it fuel, The turbo spools up and boost pressure comes up.

So if you don't see boost going down hill, that is normal.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Right buzzy I guess I should switch my wording around there. Instead of High and Low end boost....High and Low boost...

Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 PM
cumminalong

Okay, have you checked a few of the obvious things?

Air filter clogged?

Fuel filter clogged?

Has it been doing it on just this tank of fuel?

Have you loaded it up AT ALL recently? <-----It may need a good, hard, heavy run to clear out the built up crud from just cruising around. Go rent a backhoe from Home Depot for a few hours and run some hills.

Does it still have the cat on it? If so, it may be clogged.

Lots of things to look at.

The more info you feed, the more we can assist, but this is pretty vague and honestly doesn't seem too far out of the norm.

Quick Reply: RE: ON THE BOOST ISSUE