Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Scott91370
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brakes

Finally. I'm able to get on. I've been 'out of office' for about 3 weeks and haven't had time to check the board- glad it's still here!!

So, my back brakes on the 2001 (w/Rear anti-lock) seem to not function. Maybe at 10% of their capacity, if that. When I come to a stop I am having to use excessive pedal pressure to get it to stop. Also, when stopped I can put it in neutral and the front of the truck will drop about 2". Then back into gear and the front raises up. Now if I am stopped and put the e-brake on then go to neutral/gear it doesn't do this. I am not getting any ABS warning lights. I pulled the drums off the back and there is a ton of shoe left but when pressing the pedal they don't move much, maybe 1/2". There is no sign of fluid in/on the drums either and I adjusted the shoes per the manual.

It's like the rear isn't getting enough fluid. I also adjusted the 'proportioning' valve that is attached to the drivers side by the shock, but this has not helped.

Anybody have any ideas before I start pulling parts?

I appreciate it!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:57 PM
tiger63
Rookie
Default RE: Rear Brakes

I had the same problem with my 2000 3500's rear brakes not working.

Try this, go to your fuse panel pull the ABS/RAWL fuse.

This will make the ABS light come on, you will have no speed indicator or your miles traveled.

If you see an improvement in your brake function.

Your need to have your brake fluid flushed and replaced due to asorbed moisture and contaminates which impede free flow in the ABS system attempting to pulse pressure to the rear brakes. The rears may hit once, release and then cannothit again.

While the ABS/RWAL fuse is pulled the pulsing cannot occur.

The flush and adjustment to rears corrected my problem.

I went thru 3 sets of front brakes prior to getting this corrected by a very smart non stealer mechanic.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Scott91370
Professional
Default RE: Rear Brakes

Thanks for the input. I'll try it in the moring.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes