Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad EGR Valve...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
SoNauty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad EGR Valve...

hey all,
Noticed this morning that my rig's check engine light was on. Since I pass the stealership on the way to work I thought i would drop it off and have it looked at. The service guy came to tell me the news. Bad EGR valve and I shouldn't drive it like that. It's all under warranty (i think) so he is going to get it taken care of.

Next month my truck will be a year old (gonna be a nice little family party with cupcakes and a single candle by the tail pipe) and here's the questions of the hour:

What the hell is the EGR and what in the hell does it do? Why would I not want to drive around with a bad one?

Thx!!!

<Don't squat with yer spurs on!>

Old 05-23-2008, 12:19 PM
SoNauty
Rookie
Default RE: Bad EGR Valve...

Exhaust Gas Recirculation... recirculates gas for more efficient burning. Wish my *** had an EGR valve today. Beer farts suck in a cube... I think I will have to go and crop dust the office and share my non EGR'd exhaust!!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM
jakebrake
Champion

It lowers combustion temps which reduces NOx emmissions.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:45 PM
JR 06
Professional

Yes and if you have a bad EGR valve, say possibly stuck open, it could cause you to be stuck on the side of the road. Also if its stuck open you will likely be blowin some black smoke, and that could possibly damage your DPF(i'm speaking on theory here as I havn't seen a new 6.4 with a bad EGR valve yet).

Old 05-24-2008, 02:54 PM
cumminalong

Like Jake said......

All it does is re-route some of the exhaust gases back into the intake. This lowers the combustion temperature. High temps mean higher concentrations of NOx.

Some people disable or block them, because it's actually less efficient....power wise. Instead of clean air, you're getting reintroduced re-cycled air.

If it's stuck closed.....well, you'll actually blow less black smoke. If it's stuck open......then you are always getting re-cycled air and, most likely, more black smoke.

Won't hurt the engine, just won't pass an emissions check................man I hate that.......oh, that's right, I have a 5.9. [:-]

Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

ORIGINAL: JR 06

(i'm speaking on theory here as I havn't seen a new 6.4 with a bad EGR valve yet).
You're probably right, they are trying to figure out how to get the POS's to start first! We don't need anybody bragginabout fords on here. I think we all know the reliabilty of a ford here---crap.

Quick Reply: Bad EGR Valve...