Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

BD Exhaust Brake on 2006 RAM 2500 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
hallidaydj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BD Exhaust Brake on 2006 RAM 2500 diesel

I have 27,000 miles on my 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 diesel with automatic transmission. On May 8, 2008, I had the Dodge dealer upgrade the ECM firmware on my truck which included some items for the transmission.

I am planning to do a lot of mountain driving this summer so I had the exhaust brakes from BD Performance Diesel (p/n 2023330) installed two days ago. I left the installer and got 50 miles away. The check engine light came on with a code of P1740 which is "Torque converter clutch inductive signature malfunction". The exhaust brakes seemed to have been working OK and the truck was driving and shifting OK. I called the installer and he was unaware of this problem. I decided to drive the other 50 miles home. When I got home, I disconnected the ground cables on the two batteries for awhile to see if the code and check engine light would go off (i.e., soft code). No such luck. I have talked to BD tech support and they think it was a "coincidence". They said their brake controller is wired directly into the ECM on the truck to utilize the existing exhaust brake functionality of the ECM and so their exhaust brake should not be the cause of the P1740 event. I'm not sure what the Dodge dealer is going to say about this. I'm trying to get more information before going to the dealer. Anybody have any ideas on what to do?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:37 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BD Exhaust Brake on 2006 RAM 2500 diesel

Clear the codes and see if it comes back. Any cheap ODBII scanner should clear the codes. Autozone and most auto parts stores will do it for free.

If the codes do come back, take the exhaust brake off before taking it to the dealer because they are 100% going to screw you and say it is the exhuast brake that screwed up your tranny and void your warranty even if it is just a coincidence.

Quick Reply: BD Exhaust Brake on 2006 RAM 2500 diesel