Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

OT/Other Dodge Diesels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT/Other Dodge Diesels?

Just wondering if anyone has been hearing reports regarding Dodge building smaller cars/suv/crossovers with diesel engines. I'm aware of the Jeep with the diesel, but I'm interested in another vehicle that will give some relief to my 3500. Paying the fuel bills is bad enough, but I hate racking up the miles on it.
Yeah, I know that it's made for high mileage, but to date, the truck will be 2 years old on Aug. 18, and I currently have over 63k miles on it.

I've checked out the VW Jetta TDI. They're coming back out with a 2.0 it in 09', not sure of the cost.
I don't want to get a ricer, and have been over at the Caliber section here, and looks like they can get as high as the mid 30's mpg.
I'd love to see Dodge build a small comuter vehicle with a mini Cummins!

Old 05-25-2008, 02:23 PM
reed
Veteran
Default RE: OT/Other Dodge Diesels?

I too would like an economical choice. If I were to get a 2nd vehicle for economy purposes, it needs to get WAY better than my truck. Since I get 17 city /20 hwy, a Cailber getting 23 city / 27 hwy (2L CVT) isn't enough to justify it. Now a VW Jetta TDI getting 40 city / 45 hwy or more is worth considering.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

Yeah, if you guys find one at a reasonable price let me know. Ive been looking for a couple of months now but people want a fortune for a tdi with 200,000 miles on it.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Bigriver

I'm not sure what they sell for, but I'd likely get a new one.

I've read that VW will offer them in a "Wolfsburg Eddition", that has a few more ammenities.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4235586.html

Hopefully this summer they'll come out.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
cumminalong

Just remember when you are looking for that commuter car.....

1 - Car payment
2 - Insurance
3 - Fuel
4 - Maint

That can add up to a lot fuel purchases.

I bought my little Focus for commuting. I would have been spending in excess of $600 a month in fuel for the truck and that's when it was cheap. I was driving 48 miles each way to work, so The Focus paid for itself in about 2 years.

If you only have a little short hop, you might wanna do the math and see if it's really to your benefit.

Quick Reply: OT/Other Dodge Diesels?