Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

G-56 6-speed manual Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Tractor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-56 6-speed manual Help!!!

How in the world do you check the trans fluid level on this trans??? There are 2 plugs, a lower that takes a 14mm hex, and a upper that takes a T-60 torx. My 30+ years experience has ALWAYS been, lower to drain, upper to fill, until you can reach it with finger (no way to do that) or it comes out fill hole. The fill hole plug is 4" long, can't even get a piece of wire in it no matter how I bend it. While our PowerWagon is not an oil burner, The trans is the same. Any help would be great. I have read of failures due to underfilling this trans from factory, so I don't trust the stealership. I really hate to drain & refill just to be sure w/4000 miles on truck. I even put the drivers side on ramps to tip it towards the fillhole and nothing came out.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Default RE: G-56 6-speed manual Help!!!

The fill plug looks exactly like the the drain plug. It is on the passenger side of the trans about mid way up. There are also plugs that look exactly like the drain plug that are up high on boths sides, they are for the shift forks and NOT for checking or adding fluid.I hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/40652/32EFD299A1534E8B8BC717C5A3C39756.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Tractor
Professional

Thanks, I found it. What I thought was the drain was actually the fill. The drain plug is directly above the exhaust cross over pipe w/.5" clearance. Why did'nt I think of looking there to begin with. Great design for "special tool" or dealer only drain & refill w/exhaust removal. FREAKIN" BRILLIANT !!!! Thanks for the reply though.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Yup the gassers (you gave yourself away with the exhaust thing) have to remove the exhaust cross over to drain the G56. A guy on another forum just did it himself. You should be able to do it too. I'm glad I could be of assitance.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Tractor
Professional

I made my own tool today so no exhaust removal is nessesary( I hope). Went to a machine shop & had them cut me 2 pcs of 9/16" hex stock 1" long. Took them home and put into a vise and filed a little off each edge until it was a perfect fit in the 14mm fill hole. Then cut it to a length that would fit between the pipe & drainplug. Using a angledboxed end 14mm wrench it fit perfectly. I just hope there is enough room to untread it all the way without hitting the exhaust. This comming weekend will be the test.

Quick Reply: G-56 6-speed manual Help!!!