Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New to Diesel, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Moparpower151
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Diesel, need advice

Hey Guys,

Just a few questions.

I've recently purchased a used 2005 CTD powered Ram Quad Cab 4x4 Heavy Duty. It has just over 60,000 miles on it. It has AES air intake, a Striker power module, and cat back exaust. I drove a Jeep Wranger for 10 years so I love this thing. Now to the questions.

1. Does the HD package mean I have a certian motor? I've seen lots of talk about the 600 ft/lb or the HO motor and I'm curious as to which I have.

2. Will swtiching to a full synthetic oil void my warranty?

3. My jeep was a manual, so this is the first automatic I've owned. Is it normal for to have the truck shift kind of rough in the first 2 gears? I'm assuming since its made to pull and a 4x4 that it has to have some super low 1st gear (granny gear maybe)? Like I said it might by my imagination since I'm not used to it but its the only thing im worried about currently. I've seen alot of people talking about how they bombed thier tranny by adding a programer or chip. Although my programer is on the very mild side (mpg mainly 23.5 avg), I just thought I'd get some advice from people who have more experience than myself.

4. Can the dealership tell I have a programer even ifI disconnect it before taking it in? I bought it from the dealership with a warranty and it had the programer already on it. I dont see why I'd be expected to modify something they already warranty but I've been advised to do so. Im just curious if the trucks main computer knows that its being modded and if it keeps track of it.

I'll get some pics up and I expect to be a regular visitor to these forums since I do alot of driving and like to be in the know about my toys.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to Diesel, need advice

Here's a quick low down on the new beast....

1. There used to be 2 different engines. The standard output (SO) was basically a de-rated Cali version truck. If I remember, it was either 235 or 265 HP. The high output (HO) is what you should have. Look on the valve cover on the driver side, that is where the engine data plate is. It will give you the ratings of the engine.

2. No, as long as it meets the required specs. No issues there at all.

3. Normally, the stock tranny is pretty soft. Before I had mine built, I always ran it in T/H mode to firm it up. The previous owner may have put a new valve body or shift kit in it to increase the line pressure and shift firmness. Only way to tell is to pull the pan.

4. Most programmers ARE detectable. Some say they aren't but it's mainly BS. The dealership may not see it at first, but if there is a funny issue and they go deep enough, they are ALMOST all detectable. Best thing to do (read.....MUST DO) is to set it back to stock before it goes in for any kind of work. 1 - So it's not programmed and 2 - if they do a flash update, it will lock your programmer out and you'll be F'd.

Hope that answers the questions. Feel free to PM if you want a bit more info.

Quick Reply: New to Diesel, need advice