Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ecm, Wiring, Or ...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008 | 07:04 PM
ReadNeck
Default Ecm, Wiring, Or ...?

Ive got a 99 3500 w/ cummins, I was driveing about 70 mph and the truck died. First the tach cut out then it died. I had put a reman vp44 on and new lift pump relocated to in front of the fuel tank about 4 months ago. I talked to the guy who I got the pump from and he had me check some stuff and said it was the I.P. so he warrantied me one. Still it wouldnt start and the L.P. wouldnt work. I checked the L.P. for power and it had none. So I put power to it manually and bled the air out of the fuel system and it still wouldnt start. So I shot a little ether to it( yes I know, no ether on a diesel, but every thing else had failed and I just used a very little bit. I myself am and anti-ether advocate.) then it started up, and after it coughed the last of the air out it idled pretty smooth. The tach doesnt work though and its still not running the L.P. The engine isnt running in time by the sound of it, it will rev up but acts very funny so I just let it idle. every now and again the tach will kick in and it seems to work like normal. I am not sure if Ive A.) burned up the ecm on the side of the block by not useing a relay on my bigger relocated L.P., B.) Have a problem in my wiring inbetween the crank or cam shaft pos. sen. I changed the one under the vp-44 and it didnt change anything. or C.) there is something else that I am missing. Does anyone have any idea how to check and see if the E.C.M. on the side of block is good? Thanx for any input and feel free to ask me questions Im pretty knowelgable on diesels and can check about anything out.

Quick Reply: Ecm, Wiring, Or ...?