Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Removing Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
dieselredcat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Catalytic Converter

I think this question may have been asked here before by other members. I have an '07 Ram with the 5.9L CTD and am looking to install a Banks "Monster" exhaust system on it. I was wondering if it hurts the engines to remove the catalytic converter, because I noticed that Banks has some exhaust systems for the turbo back which would mean removing the converter. Also would it help my mileage at all?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Twisted Shifter
Default RE: Removing Catalytic Converter

You can get away with it on a 5.9 as long as you dont have local inspections......

Old 07-06-2008, 09:54 PM
dieselredcat

Do you mean roadside truck inspections? We have state inspections here in New York State, which are done once a year, but I know a couple shops that would "hook me up".

Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Your truck came from the factory with a 4" exhaust system from the turbo all the way to the tip. Buying an aftermarket exhaust would be a waste of your time and money, unless you plan to add BIG power like over 500 hp to the truck. You can get a muffler replacement if you want better sound and not spend a fortune on it. The cat on your truck is not a restriction, mine still lives in it's normal place. If you are set on getting rid of it you can, but again there is really not much benefit to you unless you plan big power mods.

Quick Reply: Removing Catalytic Converter