Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2001 Ram HO Diesel 52,000 mile - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM
tbs wyoming
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Ram HO Diesel 52,000 mile - HELP

I have been using my truck to pull heavy loads the last couple of weeks. About a week ago it started running bad, cutting out, chugging, and acting like it is not getting any fuel. I took out the air filter and it was dirty so I put in a clean one. It ran fine for the 200 mile drive home. Next day same thing, cutting out, chugging. I next changed out the fuel filter, remembering to clean out the bowl at the same time. Over the following few days the truck starts fine and always dies 2 miles down the road while idling at the gas station. This has happened three days in a row, dying in the exact same spot, after about 10 minutes it starts and runs fine until the next day. No warning lights have come on and engine blows smoke while chugging. Any help on what to try next or what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated. I have an appointment to take it in next week.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
triton
Record Breaker

sounds like your lift pump is going out. It will stop working period soon so, you should get a new one quickly.

There are several aftermarket pumps that will work well..... FASS, Walbro, AirDog, Raptor

Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I would agree with Triton 100% on that.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 PM
tbs wyoming
Red face

Thanks for the quick replies, I will look into the lift pump first thing tomorrow,

Old 08-16-2008, 01:04 AM
6inarow
Professional

I Would have to say camshaft position sensor, If the LP was out you would have never gotten the system primed back up after the fuel filter change.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram HO Diesel 52,000 mile - HELP