Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How low should my fuel pressure go??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM
tripleco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low should my fuel pressure go??

I have an 01 Diesel. How low should the fuel pressure go when I get into it. I have read as low as 3lbs ,and that isn't even to the floor, on my Edge guage. Didn't know if this is normal, or if the lift pump is going out or what...thanks in advanced!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 AM
justviper1
Veteran

i have always been told not to let fuel pressure go below 5 psi which is extremely important on a vp44 truck since the injection pump is lubed by the fuel. Do you have a factory lift pump or have you upgraded it?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 AM
tripleco

Yeah, it's a stock one. Truck has about 160,000 on it. I did notice also that when I was pulling a camper up hill, I would lose some power especially if I was getting into it.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:32 AM
justviper1
Veteran

well if you still have the stock lift pump then an airdog or a fass would be the way to go in order to keep enough pressure in the lines. Since you have the edge it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a 150 series in either. Either pump is much more reliable than your stock one. the stockers are know to just give out without any warning at all and to leave you stranded.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 AM
tripleco

Ok, that is what I was figuring. Now they make an inline one that I can install also right? As a reserve type pump.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:32 PM
justviper1
Veteran

personally i would go with all new 1/2 inch lines with an airdog 150 or a fass 150. either should supply your truck with enough fuel. the reason for the 1/2 inch hose instead of the usual lines is to push the max amount of fuel possible to the vp so that it cannot be starved even when the edge is cranked and you are running the s**t out of it. I would also mount the draw tube in the tank instead of using the stock basket in the tank. this is only one more think that can make sure that you are keeping the max about of fuel for your vp.

Quick Reply: How low should my fuel pressure go??