Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Filter Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
JDub06MegaC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Maintenance

How often do you guys change your stock fuel filters? And how difficult is it to change? Anybody got any step by step directions? I took my truck to the dealer the first time, cost $98 but I like to do my own maint.
Also, I'm changing my oil at 3-4K miles, is that overkill? Running Delo 400.
Trying my first tank on Drew's Brew this week, will let everybody know how that works for me.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removal, see pic 1
1. A drain hose (7) is located at the bottom of drain valve. Place drain pan under drain hose.
2. With engine not running, rotate drain valve handle counter-clockwise (rearward) to OPEN (DRAIN) position. Hold drain valve open until all water and contaminants have been removed and clean fuel exits.
3. If drain valve, fuel heater element or Water-In-Fuel (WIF) sensor is being replaced, drain housing completely. Dispose of mixture in drain pan according to applicable regulations.
4. After draining operation, rotate valve handle clockwise (forward) to the CLOSE position.
5. Fuel Filter Replacement: The fuel filter is located inside of the fuel filter housing. a. Clean all debris from around canister.
b. Remove filter lid (1) using a socket. Attach socket to large hex (2) on top of lid. Rotate counterclockwise for removal. Remove O-ring. Discard O-ring.
c. Remove filter element by twisting element sideways from filter lid.

INSTALLATION
Refer to maintenance schedules for recommended fuel filter replacement intervals.

1. Thoroughly clean inside of filter housing, filter cap and all related components.
2. Fuel Filter: a. The engine has a self-priming low-pressure fuel system. Refer to Standard Procedures-Fuel System Priming.
b. Install new O-ring to canister lid and lubricate O-ring with clean engine oil.
c. Position new element to canister lid. Place this assembly into canister by rotating clockwise.
d. Tighten cap to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque. Do not overtighten cap.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Filter Maintenance-fuel.jpg  
Old 08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

That is a easy thing and you will get it down in no time. Oil change is over kill, I used to use rotella synthetic and change every 5-8. depends on how I was driving

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

by the way, where are you purchasing your filters?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:39 AM
JDub06MegaC

Thanks Parts/Service for the instructions.
JimmyDiablo, using OEM Mopar oil filter at every oil change, haven't done the fuel filter myself yet, had it done at the dealer so it has an OEM in there too. Better suggestions?

Old 08-30-2008, 07:30 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I personally used baldwin and fleetguard filters. purchased from fleetpride. I would check if there is one in your area.
www.baldwinfilter.com
http://www.fleetpride.com/fp_p/index.html
prices good, filters great.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Maintenance