Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

edge owners, advice on settings 5.9l

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 PM
roby.jacob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edge owners, advice on settings 5.9l

Hello,
recently installed an edge w/ attitude and wanted to see what other 5.9l users had as their settings. Right now I have the max boost at 37 before defueling, egt at 1350, and low boost fueling on all levels at 3 (the middle). I haven't played with it extensively to find out whats the best application for me as I generally leave it on setting 1 (mileage) to see what I will net on a full tank for mpg.

On the previous tank of fuel, i played with the low boost settings and noticed the increased throttle response in the low rpm /low boost band. Just not sure if it would be efficient to dump extra fuel in such a scenario for my intended goal= more mileage. I also had a question; during normal highway driving (75mph) my egts remain around 700-800 and when I give it gas it will rise to about 900-1000 before coming back down or when i get of the throttle. I have the pyro mounted between 3rd and 4th cylinders before the turbo. The only other modifications are a s&b intake and a silverline dual turbo back exhaust.

On the current setting or any of the other power settings I notice a slight ticking noise when on the throttle. It doesn't sound like a ping or detonation so I am just curious. I initially thought it was something tapping in the engine bay or inside the cabin but it is not. Has anyone else noticed such a noise? I went to the exhaust and moved the pipe and can hear the exhaust clamps taping on the mount like a tick if I shake the exhaust so that may possibly be the culprit...but I am not sure I would be able to actually hear that noise withing the cabin at driving speeds.

Thanks for the help, I know its a lot of questions to answer but any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:14 PM
roby.jacob

? anyone

Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

whenever you give it throttle the egt's are going to rise that is totally normal. More fuel = more heat. I have noticed with mine better milage on the higher levels. This ofcourse is driving it easy on the higher levels. I normally drive mine on level 3 all the time. The only time I go down is when towing I switch it to level 2. The lower you keep your boost the better fuel milage you will get as well. It's been said to try and keep it under around 10 lbs for the best fuel econemy. I have a really hard time doing this myself.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

I have mine set for best throttle response on Level 3 and that's what I have it set on for daily driving, but I have a chronic obsession with seeing that black smoke in my rear view too....

Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 AM
justviper1
Veteran

for best mileage keep pyro under 600 and boost under 5.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 PM
joey7106

I run mine on level three. My truck also has the tick. I have had the chip for more than a year no issues.

Quick Reply: edge owners, advice on settings 5.9l