Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
fireflycomeau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission service

I have a 2006 with the 48re transmission. I am ready for my first tranny service and just wondering if it is necessary to take the truck in to the dealer for the service because they can adjust the bands? Is adjusting the bands really needed? I can drop the pan, change the filter and re-fill myself.

Any thoughts on this.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bands are pretty simple to adjust but if you dont feel comfortable doing it then i suggest taking it to someone who is.

Dont go for any "flush" services, just drop the pan and change the filter and add new fluid.

If you do it your self i would suggest pulling it into the garage and drop the pan, then let it sit overnight with the pan off. The next day adjust the bands, install the new filter, pan gasket and pan then refill the trans following correct filling procedures and youre done.

But if you still have a factory warranty on the truck, you had better call the dealer and see what they recommend.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

When I had my 05 same trans. I called the dealer to see if they even adjust the bands on a service they said "No". They began asking if there was slipping and so forth. I bought the filter from the dealer and the fluid from walmart (They carry genuine mopar fluid). Make sure you use the correct fluid atf+4. The gasket is a lifetime reuseable gasket. When I went to get the filter I was a little surprised there was no gasket.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo
When I had my 05 same trans. I called the dealer to see if they even adjust the bands on a service they said "No". They began asking if there was slipping and so forth. I bought the filter from the dealer and the fluid from walmart (They carry genuine mopar fluid). Make sure you use the correct fluid atf+4. The gasket is a lifetime reuseable gasket. When I went to get the filter I was a little surprised there was no gasket.
Thats because the monkeys at the dealer dont know HOW to adjust them. Its a shame the way the dealerships have become.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

and walmart has oem fluid cheep... $4.30 or so a quart.

I'd switch to amsoil personally... did that on my truck on it's 1st service after a rebuild and it shifts better IMO.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:03 PM
TowRig

Is there a DIY on band adjustment anywhere. I have the same tranny (48RE) and would like to take this project on myself. I dont trust the dealer with anything other then selling me the truck....

Thanks DF!

-Dave

Quick Reply: Transmission service