Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Is my brain fried?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:33 PM
redeyejediii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is my brain fried?

I just fell in love with my first Ram cummins, but now its not lovin me back. I have a 99 2500 cummins. The electeical system is going crazy. It started with the alternator going out(at least thats what i was told) so i change it out. Then it pushes 16v+ into the system and blows one of my batteries. Then i was told the altenator is bad if it is pushing that much, and i swap it out, same problem. Now my lights are all messed up, no blinkers, headlights, or brake lights. When i hit the blinker my dash lights flash. The shop said when my batterie blew acid got in to the wires under the batterie and caused shorts. Ok but that doesn't explain it all and i think it all happend to fast for the acid(not very much) to cause problems. The shop gave it back and said "we can't fix it go to the dealer". Is this my brain? What can i do? Where do i start? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I miss my truck.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:56 PM
cookie88
Rookie

the system going crazy doesnt sound alot like shorts, but as far as what made the battery do, not questioning you, but asking about the right alternator. With the second one were you getting the same voltage?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM
redeyejediii

The alternator are all 130amp referb. and I just put in my third one from the parts store. The only other one they have is an upgraded model. I can get the store to exchnge, but they wont test it out of the truck.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I am no expert on the 2nd gens, but voltage is regulated by the TIPM (totally integrated power module) in my truck. From my limited understanding of this thing it is an extension of the ecm, or at least talks to it. That said, the lights doing weird things does sound like a short some where.

Maybe you'll get lucky and Parts / Service will see this thread and chime in.

Bump.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you have 2 separate problems. 1 may have caused the other.
The Electronic Voltage Regulator (EVR) is not a separate component. It is actually a voltage regulating circuit located within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) The EVR is not serviced separately. If replacement is necessary, the PCM must be replaced.
The amount of DC current produced by the generator is controlled by EVR circuitry contained within the PCM. This circuitry is connected in series with the generators second rotor field terminal and its ground. Voltage is regulated by cycling the ground path to control the strength of the rotor magnetic field. The EVR circuitry monitors system line voltage and battery temperature (refer to Battery Temperature Sensor for more information) It then compensates and regulates generator current output accordingly. It could be that your voltage regulator is not operating properly. Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Is my brain fried?