Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Do transmissions behind the diesel ??'s go in here too?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 PM
nodakbassmaster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do transmissions behind the diesel ??'s go in here too?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, but I am trying to figure out exactly where I need to ask this... thanks for looking!

"Hey guys, new here... I tried searching for quite a while, but could not find the answers to my questions.

I am shopping for a 2500 Quad Cab Cummins and thinking about the Manual transmission.

So, are people having problems with the manuals? I have been told that the power of the engine has a tendency to wreak havoc with the manual trannys...

Any truth to this?

I also heard that in 05 or somewhere near there some extra emissions stuff was put on the diesels, truth to this as well?

Thanks for the responses and help. I may be on the verge of my first Dodge..."

Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM
coolbearcat

I cannot speak for the 5 speed manual, but the 6 speed is a beast. I have the NV5600. If you're looking for a common rail, the NV is in the 03-05 trucks. I cannot remember if it was in 05 or 06 but they went to the G56 for the 6 speed manual. the G56 is an aluminum housing made by Getrag, and the NV is an Iron housing made by New Venture. They also used a dual mass flywheel with the G56. As far as emissions go, in 04.5 they went to a VG turbo and a catalytic converter. That carried through till 07 when they added a DPF. If you want the manual you might as well plan on a clutch early if you start tuning. The stocker on the NV's isn't good for much past 800lb-ft. I know, I'm not that edge and it doesn't hold all the time.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 AM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

I have an 06 with the G56 6 speed and I love it. I never hear anything bad about the manuals, but I do hear a lot about the automatic tranny's. If you leave your truck stock, either tranny will hold up just fine. If you want to chip it and add more power than you can expect to but a grand or two in a new clutch for the stick, or around 5 grand for a really good automatic if you go that route. I have 35000 miles on my stick without any problems, and my neighbor has 100,000 on his 2003 automatic and has never had any trouble either and he pulls a 34 ft 5'er. And to answer your other question my 06 came with a cat on it but for 20 bucks I got rid of that emissions crap

Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
nodakbassmaster
Rookie

sweet, I think I should be safe with my original idea that I wanted a 6 speed manual then...

Thanks!

Any more advice or input will be appreciated!

When did the mega cab (or whatever they are calling the larger version of the quad cab) become available then?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM
garrettg84
Rookie

Originally Posted by nodakbassmaster
...When did the mega cab (or whatever they are calling the larger version of the quad cab) become available then?
Mega Cab was offered starting in 2006 if I'm not mistaken. I've owned one, they are incredible. I was the tour bus for MANY tailgate parties with that machine.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:52 AM
nodakbassmaster
Rookie

sweet! Thanks. That helps my search!

Quick Reply: Do transmissions behind the diesel ??'s go in here too?