Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Air flow selector in dash malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 PM
rbozeman1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air flow selector in dash malfunction

Hello, all. Newbie here. '03 2500 Diesel HD w/ 6 spd manual, quad cab, longbed, 2wd., 80k miles. Last week the air selector switch on the dash quit working. i.e. the air only blows out of the dash vents now (no defrost or floor). Hot/cold works OK and fan speed too. Is there some reset that can be done or will this require new selector switch or diverter actuator? Any easy diagnostic?

thanks in advance.

Russ

Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
garrettg84
Rookie

Common problem, its the actuator that controls that little air flap =) I've had it go out on an 01 ram 1500, as well as an 06 2500....you'd think they would do a recall...each time it sucked, they kept the truck all day claiming the entire dash needs to be ripped out. Just about every one of my friends that owned a ram 1500/2500 has had the same issue as well. In the 2500 it started out by blowing hot air when i would hit the breaks...thought it was weird as all hell, then it would just stick on hot and thats when i finally got mad enough to take it in.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 AM
rbozeman1

Thanks for that reply. I'll get right into it. I'm such a dolt I'll probably try it myself. Hate that $80/hr shop rate (if its still that low).

BTW, FSU--my alma mater--go Noles!

Russ

Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
garrettg84
Rookie

FSU! Alright, nice to know I have some backup on here =) Should be starting my masters here next fall!

As a side note, I might mention another friend of mine did not have the actuator problem, it was the door/flap itself, supposedly cheap plastic that dry rots and snaps at its little hinge/nub. It may be worth your time to replace both at the same time.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
D's Ram

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. after the 100 diagnoses the dealer wanted $230 more. I found the ac control head for sale on ebay from a salvaged vehicle for $30 dollars with a 1 year warranty. The part fixed my problem and only took 10 minutes or less to install, the service manual made it real easy.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
rbozeman1

Thanks D's Ram. It seems that its not usually the dash board switch, but rather the actuator or plastic door itself. I'm curious, on Ebay how did you locate the correct part? I have the Dodge part #, is that sufficient?

Second, I understand that the box is behind the glove compartment. It sounds like yours was easy to access. I have the Clymer manual and I am handy....danger!

Thanks, Russ

Old 10-30-2008, 08:25 PM
D's Ram

I think my problem was all electronics. the computer chip on the back of the controls was screwed up. Hot was cold, when i selected defrost it came out the feet and so on. I thought your problem was similar but maybe not. On ebay just type in the name of the part you need. I typed in dodge ram ac contol head unit and found a few different ones, no part # was needed. If yours seems out of wack like mine was, it won't hurt to get the new unit for $30.00 or so dollars and see if it works. You just have to pop off the center bezel part of the dash, unplug and unscrew the old one and put in the new one. It was five screws total.

Quick Reply: Air flow selector in dash malfunction