Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

06 exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Brian in PA
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 exhaust questions

I got a problem with my 06 I just got a couple of months ago. I traded my 01 in for it, and bought the same exhaust system for both trucks, Silver line 4'' with the delete pipe. My 01 sounded like a "big" truck coming down the road. MY 06 well its a different story. I put the exhaust on with the muffler delete pipe and had a real bad low rpm cackle whenever the tranny up shifted and the rpms dropped. It almost sounded like a Honda civic w/ a fart muffler on it. So I got disgusted and put the silver line muffler on and it is still too quiet, but better than the cackle. I was talking to a guy the other day and he said that a 5'' system would fix this problem and make it sound like my earlier non common rail 24 valve. Can anyone help verify this? Thanks!! Brian

Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
IC Smoke

your 06 wont ever have the tone of a 01 due to the VP vs the CR injection sequence. If you put a 5" on you will have a deeper tone. Im not sure why you put a 4" silverline on your truck since from factory they are 4". I had a muffler delete from Genos garage on my 06 and it didnt crackle but it was a weird sound when I got on it. It now has a 5" with muffler and sounds great. If you've got the dough Id spring for a 5"

Ian

Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Brian in PA
Amateur
Talking

OK thanks! I put the 4 inch on because my other truck sounded just how I wanted and I figured why change a good thing. I also figured that eliminating the cat and muffler it would help. Well I guess if a 5 inch is what I need to make this truck sound good that I'll have to get it. Anyone interested in a slightly used 4 inch silverline exhaust?

Quick Reply: 06 exhaust questions