Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Loss of power...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 AM
garrettg84
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power...

The problem:
Every now and again driving around town, and my truck goes into, as I call it, 'retard mode'. From a stop, the truck no longer starts to idle forward as soon as I'm off the brakes, and acceleration requires RPMs to go WAYYY higher than normal for SLOW acceleration. Normally, letting off the brakes I start creeping, when in 'retard mode' on a flat surface, to get the truck to move the RPMs go all the way up to around 24-2800 and I feel as if the rear in sways back in forth, almost a shutter, but not as violent and then I start to move. I hear the turbo singing, and no service engine light or codes. As soon as I turn the truck off and start it again its fine, no retard mode. I've even restarted the truck from neutral in a roll from when it was in retard mode, and its fine again.

I do notice however when I put the truck in 1st gear on the shifter that the problem is minimalized, but still there. When I force the truck into 1st on the shifter I do actually feel a shift, when i'm completely stopped....

The truck never STARTS in this retard mode, but only happens after I had driven it around for a while.

Almost seems as if the transmission is not starting in first, but second or third gear, is this possible???

I have a fuel pressure gauge on order, as my truck is known to have the lift pump failures and then a dead VP44 =( but it has not arrived so I can say if its a fueling problem yet.

About the truck:
I just recently bought this truck. Its a 99 4x4 automatic CTD, has 200k miles on it. Already changed all the fluids(front and rear difs, trans, engine oil) and filters (fuel, oil, and trans) all done to spec, proper oil, atf4 etc. Nothing looked to be too dirty, almost as if everything had been changed shortly before I purchased the truck. According to the previous owner, the transmission was rebuilt around 150k miles and the torque converter (after market, not sure brand or specs) has been replaced around there as well. The guy had also explained that the rear end had been replaced but doesn't know much about trucks and had his mechanic put in the 'good rear end'. With the 37" tires he was running (and I am still running) the truck still seems to have extremely good acceleration (except when I have the loss of power issue) and I assume a 'good rear end' means he got something larger (smaller?) than the stock 4.10's that came with it.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:38 PM
SpLaT
Captain

could be a faulty apps sensor. accelerator pedal position sensor

1999 err a TPS throttle postion sensor

check out rockauto.com for cheap parts!
another thing to do is remove battery cables clean the cables and battery posts very well and the contacts at the other end of each cable, this has solved many a probem.

Last edited by SpLaT; 11-13-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
garrettg84
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpLaT
could be a faulty apps sensor. accelerator pedal position sensor

1999 err a TPS throttle postion sensor

check out rockauto.com for cheap parts!
another thing to do is remove battery cables clean the cables and battery posts very well and the contacts at the other end of each cable, this has solved many a probem.
Thanks for the quick response! The terminals do need to be cleaned up a bit, I'll do that and see if it acts up again. The problem doesn't happen but every few days or so.

Anybody else know anything else to look for?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Tally12V

Could just be that you beat on it and it no longer likes you

Quick Reply: Loss of power...