Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

turbo cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 09:41 PM
2008cummings
|
Professional

I think bob the problem is soot from the EGR clogging up the turbo, 0@sensor and just the whole damn system

Old 12-08-2008 | 08:32 PM
82nd Double-A

Coincidentally, the "light" came on two days ago; I turned on the exhaust brake and switched from 6 speed overdrive to driving between 2nd and 4th gears allowing the engine to rev high with quick, controlled decelerations. The light was off when I began my day the this morning. This is ABSOLUTELY non-scientific but a guy I met who suffers the same problem introduced this to me and it seems to clear the fault.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The method seems a bit amateurish but it seems to work.

Old 12-09-2008 | 12:32 AM
SpLaT
Captain

"the problem is soot from the EGR clogging up the turbo, 0@sensor and just the whole damn system"

"turned on the exhaust brake and switched from 6 speed overdrive to driving between 2nd and 4th gears allowing the engine to rev high with quick, controlled decelerations. The light was off when I began my day the this morning."

Like I said before.... you guys with these 6.7l and DPF/EGR ya gotta drive with EB on, (good practice) especially if you do alot of idling (which is a bad practice) or lots of stop and go city driving. Your engine isn't getting hot enough, causing excess carbon build up.
Running with the EB on all the time isn't going to hurt anything other then keep engine temps up. Just be careful when on ice/snow covered roadways, downshifting manual with EB on could get scary.

Old 12-09-2008 | 06:17 PM
Bob5151
Veteran

How about just taking it on the highway for maybe 50-100 miles, let it get up to operation temp and strech her legs a little?

Old 12-09-2008 | 11:26 PM
SpLaT
Captain

do that and if you can hook up to a trailer with some weight. But driving around town with EB engaged won't hurt the truck unless your on icy/snow covered roads could be fun!!!

Old 12-09-2008 | 11:55 PM
2008cummings
|
Professional

well just got truck back and on the way home the light came back on. So going back to dealer tomorrow. What a POS

Old 12-12-2008 | 04:03 AM
82nd Double-A

I got a call from the dealer asking me to schedule a date to have them install this "part" which will clear the problem. If I don't, they'll return the part to wherever these parts are returned. I feel obligated to comply now because I fear I may not be able to file a claim later because I "did not comply with the TSB" and the opportunity to "correct the problem" before causing greater failure.

I'll keep you all posted.

By the way, I drive with the E Brake on all the time now. This is especially convenient because it warms up the engine quicker in the cool temps around my area.

Old 12-12-2008 | 11:39 PM
2008cummings
|
Professional

they installed a new turbo so lets see if that works. i did have my atty file for lemon law anyway because I hit the requirements and takes 2-3 months

Old 12-17-2008 | 07:43 PM
Blue in Charlottesville
Thumbs down Get ready for lots of problems

I have had 02 sensors cleaned, turbo charger cleaned twice, 02 sensors replaced, turbo charger replaced, map and barometer sensor replaced. This truck is junk. NOW, at random, I have plums of smoke coming up from the passanger side wheel well. Has anyone out there had the problems with smoke (and lots of it!) coming out of the right front wheel well???

Old 12-17-2008 | 10:34 PM
SpLaT
Captain

sounds like your turbo has sprung a leak... oil leaking out and burning, hence the smoke. take her back to service department and get it looked at asap!

Quick Reply: turbo cleaning