Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 AM
mblanco2000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Service

I am going to change my transmission fluid myself this time. (2007 2500 Cummins 5.9L) I am just changing the fluid in the pan as well as the filter inside the pan. I have a couple of questions before I proceed.

1. Is the gasket between the pan and the tranny a resealable gasket. I have been told it is and that it is not.

2. While I have the pan dropped off the tranny I would like to consider replacing the pan w/ a deeper pan that has some cooling fins to it. Is there one that is recommended on by this board?

Also if anyone has any suggestions on anything else I should be aware of before getting under there I would be very appreciative of those suggestions. Thanks all.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I have a mag hytec double deep pan and love it. I tow alot and it drops the temps alittle. If you buy one they come with a new gasket.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 PM
mblanco2000
Professional

Yeah that Mag Hytec is what I am also looking at to get. Is there somewhere you recommend getting this pan?

Also how does one determine the model of transmission on my 5.9L CTD?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

According to your sig you have a 2007 5.9 so your trans is the 48re.(I have the same year and motor) I ordered mine directly from mag hytec. you can also order the filter at the same time. Geno's Garage has them as well as a bunch of others if you do a search for mag hytec you will get a list.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM
mblanco2000
Professional

You are correct Bass Hunter I do have the 07 5.9L, and love it thus far. I am going to go ahead and order the Mag Hytec 727 D instead of the DD version b/c I just do not need that much fluid I do not think. In they Hytec install sheet that is online, there is a note that say you can put a temperature sender directly into the pan, which is cool if you are already down there. Is this something that I can also get from Geno's Garage?

Also I was looking at the factory tranny pan and there does not seem to be a drain plug, how the holy heck am I to open that thing and not make a damn mess everywhere? I say a 1/4 or 1/8 plug up on the transmission above the pan but I think that was a plug indicator to determine if the pan is full of oil, is that correct? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Start at one corner and take out 3-5 bolts, then start loosening bolts from there. The corner will drop and start to drain. After that its just got fluid left in the pan; take the bolts out and dump it.

For the temp gauge, I got a replacement cooler line (hot side) from Diesel Manor that has a temp sensor bung in it. More accurate and reads temp changes faster than reading from a pan.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG3.asp

Quick Reply: Transmission Service