Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission leak, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
ColoradoRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission leak, help needed

Hi there! I've been a long time reader and now I am in desperate need of your help.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins and I'm leaking transmission fluid. From what I can tell it appears to be leaking from the upper left of the transmission oil cooler (radiator style).

Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be immediately before the radiator on the front end of the truck, and after the intercooler.

How should I go about replacing that part? I can't seem to find any online so any help you folks can suggest would be crucial. I was thinking about using a stop-leak product but after all the negative press those get I'd rather not unless you know something better.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Bob

Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
kdtlr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you should ask, just did mine this weekend. Cooler was about $225.

Remove the (4) bolts from the A/C evap coil which is mounted on the intercooler and gently swing it out of your way. The evap coil is connected to rubber hoses and will allow some movement, again do it GENTLY.

Once this is out of the way, loosen the clamps (1 on each side of intercooler) on the intercooler hoses. Remove the (2) bolts that mount the intercooler to the truck and work the hoses off of the intercooler as you lift it straight up and out.

This will give you access to the tranny coolers (2) mounting bolts. This is where it gets tricky, Dodge has a rubber hose that connects to the cooler. It has a quick connect type fitting that they use a "special tool" to remove it with. I didn't need the tool because I was replace the cooler and hoses all the way back due to rust. They say you can use picks to unlatch the quick connect. Look into the end of the rubber hose where the cooler line goes. Should be on the drivers side of the vehicle below where the intercooler line goes back. You will see the metal clips that need to be pushed back in order to remove the intercooler.

I suggest checking the entire transmission line for rust and replace them now. My truck is an 04.5 and the fittings were very rusty. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Transmission leak, help needed