Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:04 PM
dieselredcat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)

I figure this is the best place to ask a question like this since there are a lot of knowledgable diesel owners here. My question is, is this new Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system which utilizes urea injection into the exhaust, an alternative to the current technology that is used on the '08 diesels and up for emission control or is it going to be added to it. I've been reading that the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 diesels will use the urea injection. There will be a fill pipe next to the fuel fill. They say that most truck stops and fuel stations will be carrying urea, also known as diesel exhaust fluid. A friend of mine that maintains a fleet of school buses said that they are going to be installing a urea tank at the garage, because as they replace some of the older school buses with newer ones, they will be using urea.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 AM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Urea injection is used as a supplement to the DPF/EGR. The 6.7 meets 2010 standards, but Ive heard rumor they may get urea injection anyway...

And yes, the 5.0 V8 Cummins will have urea unjection, along with a DPF and EGR.

Quick Reply: Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)