Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Some questions about 6.7 Mega cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions about 6.7 Mega cab

So I'm looking at trading my 99 V10 in on a 6.7 L 2008 2500 Mega cab larimie with about 10k. It is pretty much loaded and a very sweet ride however I'm a little concerned with a some of the things I read about the new engine.

- during the winter it will be driven short distances, less than 4 miles one way. Am I going to have the huge problems with the turbo clogging up or did this get fixed for 2008. I can only give it a good run on the highway a couple of times a month in the winter. It will get worked hard in the summer towing a 31' 11k lbs 5th wheel.

- Am I pretty much looking at 12-14 mpg or does it get a bit better once it has a few miles on it? My V10 get 9-10 which sucks but the truck is paid for.

I would perfer a 3500 and not silver so it will come down to getting a great price and a lot of feed back.

Any other comments would also be greatly apreciated. Thanks

Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Some guys on here have the new motors and no problems. Others have them and have nothing but problems, some have gone so far as to look into lemon lawing them. The short runs will be your biggest issue. Maybe you could take the long way to work? Another thing is to allways use the engine brake. Or you could always look into an 07 with the 5.9 motor.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:11 AM
soldbyyou.com
Rookie

I had problems with the turbo clogging up when we drove across the US last summer. Took it to a dealership and just like Bass said they told us to keep the jake brake. Once we got it up to my parents place in Canada there were no problems.

I find that in and around town miles get me between 11 to 15 miles per gallon, depending on traffic and how I am driving (normally like a bat out of hell lol).

My dad currently has the truck and just uses it around town a few times a week and has kept the jake brake on when he drives it and has no problems with the turbo clogging up.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
flifisher
Amateur
Talking

I have a 2007 mega cab 4x4 with the 6.7 ctd. I get @ 17 mpg on the hwy and 14 mpg in town.

In september I drove 5600 miles towing my 32' fifthwheel and averaged 13 mpg.

I drive it on short trips around town and have had no issues. I hope milage will get better as well as my truck just turned 11,000 miles.

Great truck with plenty of power!

Quick Reply: Some questions about 6.7 Mega cab