Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What's wrong w/ my truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
dieselpotato
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong w/ my truck

I have an 04 Ram, w/ 135K miles, automatic, Banks 6 gun. I bought bad diesel fuel in November, and had to put new injectors in the truck. Ever since then the truck runs like crap. sometimes on the highway, it seems like its stuck in a gear. it wont accelerate, or down shift. other days it shifts fine. it stalls at times when i come to a stop, but will start up w/ no problem. and while in park or neutral, if i give it some gas, the throttle seems to stick coming down... kinda jerky. the new injectors cost me over $4,000, and $ is tight right now. does anyone have any advice? Thanks for your input

Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Try running the truck without the programmer, see if that makes a difference.

"if i give it some gas, the throttle seems to stick coming down..."
To put it simply, the programmer is adding fuel pressure, more then stock, so when you give it throttle the rail has more presssure/fuel and has to use it up.. hence the reason for the slower drop in rpm.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM
dieselpotato

i bought the truck with the banks 6 gun... dial mounted on dashboard. it has a Banks wiring harness that connects to the intake. i don't have the stock one. it wont run if i disconnect.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Well then, I would try getting a hold of Banks and ask them for suggestions/ideas, I believe the programmer is causing your problems. Could be a fualt in the programmer, and they may be able to diagnose it or tell you how to remove it and send it in for reprogramming? Not experienced in the Banks stuff, but like all programmers you get some that get messed up.

ps you can also visit www.bankspower.com look up your particular truck and programmer they have owner manuals in PDF form and of course their service department e-mail/ph number.

Last edited by SpLaT; 01-22-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Yes it will run if you disconnect the Banks. All the banks harness does is connect between the factory connections to intercept the signals. Take it out and hook the factory connections together...

Old 01-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Has it been doing it since the new injectors were put in?

Is there any excessive smoke output at idle or under acceleration?

Does it idle rough?

If it's doing any of those, it sounds to me that when they replaced the injectors, they didn't torque down the connector tubes (the tubes between the HP fuel lines the injector body that passes through the head to the injector) correctly and the fuel is going into bypass and returning to the tank.

What you need to do is get the truck on a StarScan (at the dealer) and see what it's showing for REQUESTED and ACTUAL fuel rail pressure.

I'm betting it's leaking and this is where the problem is.

Those connector tube nuts need to be at 37 - 42 ft/lbs to seat correctly. Otherwise, you get the poor running conditions.

Quick Reply: What's wrong w/ my truck