Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
grazmo85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Swap

I have a 01 2500 CTD, I found out that dodge decided to put a smaller turbo on the 01 with Automatic transmissions, I can't remember what the size the turbo is that is on the manual trans but I know it is bigger and it will give me more boost while allowing me to use the boost elbow that came with my Edge Chip. Does anyone know what sizes the turbos are?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Scott91370
Professional
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Your not going to gain much if anything swapping a stock turbo for another stocker. Get an aftermarket turbo from BD, Industrial Injection, or HTT. What mods are you going to do and whats the truck used for?

http://www.industrialinjection.com/

http://www.dieselperformance.com/

http://www.htturbo.com/

Honestly, if all your running is an Edge Juice, you really dont need a different turbo. And just because you have boost doesnt necessarily mean you make more power. You can compress air, and move more with a bigger turbo, but you also need to cool that intake charge to make some power. Boost is a measure of backpressure. 0psi boost=nearly zero backpressure. 80psi boost=quit a bit of backpressure that the turbo needs to overcome.

Heres an example: Say you make 45psi boost with a stock turbo, and make around 450hp at the tires. Now put a bigger turbo on there, and now you have 525hp at 38psi...How? Your moving more air. But at the same time, the more air you move, the more it heats up. Therefore a bigger intercooler or maybe some water injection to cool and condense the incoming charge could net you, say, 560 in the hypothetical example I gave.

If any of that makes sense. Hopefully I put it so its understandable.

Last edited by scatpack_69; 01-28-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
grazmo85

The reason I was trying to find a stock turbo instead of going with an aftermarket was one thing is the price I could probably find a stock turbo and not have to pay much for it and the main reason is when I accelerate with my chip on level 3 or higher the turbo sounds like it is going to blow up and I was told that by just swapping to the bigger stock turbo I would avoid that because it isn't pushing the bigger one to the limit of blowing up

Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Well if your turbo sounds like its gonna blow up, thats a seperate issue. If its a bad turbo already, I guess I could see putting another stocker on it. But you really wont gain very much by putting on one from a manual truck in terms of performance. See what I mean? The difference in size isnt that much. I cant remember the sizes of the two off the top of my head...

Actually, you could go with a 3rd gen turbo from an 04.5+ truck. THAT turbo is actually quit a bit bigger, yet not big enough you cant spool it. Hold one up to yours and its a noticeable difference. You can get one pretty cheap, 3 or 400 bucks sometimes. Just find a 3rd gen guy that put an aftermarket turbo on his truck and buy it from him. Honestly, Id look into that as a viable option.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 AM
tarwood

Actually, you could go with a 3rd gen turbo from an 04.5+ truck.
First of all, sorry for reviving this thread. I just want to see if this also applies to a 1999 Dodge 3/4 Cummins. I apologize for the ignorance here, as this is actually for my fathers truck. I unfortunately had to part ways with my 2001 Ram a few years ago

Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by tarwood
First of all, sorry for reviving this thread. I just want to see if this also applies to a 1999 Dodge 3/4 Cummins. I apologize for the ignorance here, as this is actually for my fathers truck. I unfortunately had to part ways with my 2001 Ram a few years ago
Yes sir, it does apply to a 99 also. I know its been done on 98-early 04 trucks (the 03 and early o4 have a smaller turbo than the 04.5-07 trucks) and Im sure it could be adapted to an earlier truck also

Quick Reply: Turbo Swap