Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

SRT10 Bumper cover and Dodge Cummins Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 PM
edwardsss1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT10 Bumper cover and Dodge Cummins Question

I'm wanting to improve the aerodynamics of my '04 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4. I've been told that putting an SRT 10 front bumper cover/spoiler on the truck will improve the aerodynamics of the truck. I'm wondering if any forum members have tried this.

Thx,

Ed

Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

You arent gonna gain anything by doing the swap other than looks. Aerodynamics are still gonna be just like a big *** truck, which is what you have

Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 AM
racer9
Veteran

It might help a little bit, but with a 4X4 you have several problems. Large open wheel wells, truck is high so air gets under, the grill is like a parachute, etc.
One of the magazines did a test with a 2wd truck, they did all kinds of impractical things, like taping all the body seams and grill, removing the mirrors, smooth wheel covers, etc.
I don't remember how much they gained, but I don't think it was much.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not spend the $$ if you are just after a little less drag. If you want/like the looks of them then the $$ is worth it.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
edwardsss1

Thanks for the suggestions. I did some searching on the 'net and it appears that the SRT10 truck aerodynamics are much better than the Ram 2500 HD. I was thinking, still, that the only way to improve fuel mileage is to lower the drag. Of course, the SRT10 doesn't have an intercooler, etc. to contend with either. I noted some sort of air dam built directly behind the grille of the SRT10. My thought was that the SRT10 bumper cover/spoiler would better direct the air around the truck rather than permitting it to under and have to pass the front/rear axle, transfer case, etc.

Thanks again, Ed

Quick Reply: SRT10 Bumper cover and Dodge Cummins Question