Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Does my cummins have tuning or chip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 PM
GeaR_HeaD44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my cummins have tuning or chip?

I just bought an 04 cummins 3500 4x4 quad cab with straight pipe about 2 months ago. I don't know if it's stock, been reprogramed, or has a chip? I wonder because when I get on it, it smokes a decent bit. My cusion which knows his cummins says for it to smoke that much it has to have somethin done to it. I don't think it does. Does anyone know how I can tell? And what do you think about putting a banks six gun and k&n intake on it?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Well, easiest way is to pop the hood and see if theres an aftermarket box under there. Check the fuse box lid and look for velcro; sure sign something WAS on it.

As for a programmer, if you know anybody that has a downloader for an 04 you can try to upload a tune. Itll say right away whether theres a tune on it already. Or you could have a dealer hook up, I believe they can see if its factory programming in it or an aftermarket tune...

Skip the Banks and K&N. Theres lots better out there. Nice mild one is Edge Juice w/ Attitude. Another good route is Smarty or Smarty Jr. Banks blows, plain and simple...as for the intake, S&B, Volant, and AFE are the better options out there.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Coal Train
All Star

I wouldn't throw another box or programmer on it until you know what's there right now. Otherwise, you could end up a with a stack that causes you major issues....too much timing, duration or injection pressure.

For it to be smoking, it's either tuned or you have an injector going south on ya.

It's it's a box, all you need to do it look on top of the fuse box, under the hood. That's where almost all of them get mounted.

If it's a programmer, then the only way to know is to go to the dealer and have it hookup on the StarScan to see if is. If it has been programmed and you don't have gauges installed, I'd get it flashed back to stock. Some of the tunes can run really hot.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Well, if its got a program in it, say Bullydog, and you try to load a Smarty on it, the Smarty will immediately say Unknown Software, pretty much a sure sign its got a tune on it. You cant stack two programmers...its impossible

Quick Reply: Does my cummins have tuning or chip?