Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ram brakes, too much rear.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
gillhilton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ram brakes, too much rear.

Went into Jiffy Lube for safety inspection and my '95 Dodge Cummins x-cab, 2-wh drive, rear wheel anti-lock, was run onto a skid pad. Long story short, it ended up getting rejected because the rear wheels were applying slightly too much brake force compared to the front. In an effort to get it to pass, I installed a new master cyclinder & bled system & came up with the same results. I've even tried to loosen the rear adjusters 1 1/2 turns which helped marginally but still wouldn't pass. I was told that the rejection "brands" the truck with the state (Utah), so it has to pass at the same inspection station, eliminating my idea of paying for another inspection at a different shop where they just do a "visual" on the pads & shoes, which, are both excellent. Can the proportioning valve be adjusted? Any other ideas? The truck is simply not worth putting alot of money into, with new proportioning valve, ABS pumps etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

Wow! I dont believe that you can adjust it. Wouldnt think the replacement cost on the Proportioning valve would be that significant. Then again I could be wrong. IM Coal Train...he seems well educated on just about all matters with these trucks.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Originally Posted by gillhilton
...was run onto a skid pad.
A skid pad? A skid pad is a circular track that is used to calculate lateral g-force. What does that have to do with a vehicle safety inspection?

I looked at the Utah Vehicle Safety Inspection manual (link), and it says nothing about driving the vehicle for the test. The brake inspection is simply visual; pulling off a front and rear wheel for a visual inspection. There is nothing about measuring the difference between front and rear braking action. Maybe someone is pulling your leg?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
cumminnotstrokin2

Jiffy Lube
<-------- that is your problem! thoughs guys are a big rip off

Quick Reply: Ram brakes, too much rear.