Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

power steering update... carnage

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:02 AM
calgarycowboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering update... carnage

So I went out and picked up a new pump and removed the old one. The fluid looked like metalic grey paint with some decent sized flakes in it. The old pump felt fine when I tugged on the shaft (oh yeah) but i threw the new one on anyways thinking maybe a valve in the old one was clogged. I disconnected all the lines and and cooler, cleaned them up real nice and flushed the system a twice but I am still ending up with that nasty metal in fluid problem which is so freaking frustrating.

The new pump seemed to help a little, the truck turns left fine but right is still damn near impossible after a certain point. I am thinking that steering box brace threw something out of alignment inside the box and that is the source of the problem... I really dont know though. Could also be wear to the point of failure from my good buddy death wobble.

The hissing from the steering wheel is a lot more pronounced too, time to rebuild the hydroboost?

I dont know whats worse now. This headache and paying for a new steering system or running little stock tires without the leveling kit!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

welcome to DF...

what year truck do you have? & how many miles on it?

you should flush the PS system until it comes out red again (assuming it's a 3rd gen that uses ATF+4). It sounds like your PS box has a problem. there is an adjustment screw on the top of the box that has a locknut & allen head. generally you tighten it up for loose steering, yours sounds like something is broken.

I'd flush it real good, and if the problem persists, disconnect the pitman arm from the rest of the steering and move the box by itself and see how it feels without the load. if you have problems still then you will know it is the box. if not, then jack up the front & move the wheels manually, look for any binding anywhere in the steering linkage.

DIY writeup for reference (for others who need to do it)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...g-service.html

Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I wouldnt even mess with the screw. if the box needs to be adjusted via the screw you'll be replacing it soon anyway. any steer box rebuilders I know and from experience, if the screw is adjusted it will need to be replaced soon after

Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

what led you to replace/rebuild yours? I had a lot of slop in mine, adjusted it and tightened the steering up significantly. that was 20~30k miles back.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I had some slop, adjusted the screw 1/4" it was a little beter but then I got the symptoms above. if you talk to most rebuild shops they dont recomend touching the screw for the reasons above. that and most people would add a turn or two which can grenad the box. I know people thta have adjusted their boxes and have been fine but I know more people thta have done it and replaced it shortly after . using the correct procedure.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

the adjusment screw isnt going to help his issue anyway the box is toast.

Quick Reply: power steering update... carnage