Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

trailer tow wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
siegZ06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer tow wiring problems

Hey Folks,

Came up with an issue that I can't figure out. The wiring on my trailer tow package is messed up. It's a little complicated but hopefully I can explain it right. If I put a volt meter on the brake output wires (also blinker wires) it will show no voltage with the brake off as it should. Then when I put my foot on the brake pedal they will show 12 volts as it should. Here is where it gets interesting. When I take my foot off the brake it drops down to 10.5 volts and holds it for 10-15 minutes and then drops back down to zero. Touch the brake pedal again and same thing. Here is where it gets even more complicated. I have blinking 12 volts when I test the turn signals until I touch the brake pedal, then it starts to blink the opposite side turn signal. It does this for the 10-15 minutes that the 10.5 volts hang on the stop/turn wires as mentioned above. After the 10.5 hanging volts disappear everything returns to normal. Everything goes to crap as soon as I touch the brakes. Any ideas? The Dodge service guys have no idea.

thanks for any help

John

Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is all the wiring correct and intact and original equipment? If that is all ok, I would rule out, one at a time, the brake controller, the brake switch, then any relays associated with trailer wiring. It would also help everyone to help you if you fill out your signature line with all the info on your truck.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: trailer tow wiring problems