Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

EGT guage install and use

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
SmilingDon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT guage install and use

Hello,
I have an 08 Ram, 6.7 with manual transmission. I want to add in an EGT guage to protect my turbo at shutdown. Does anyone know at what pre-turbo temperature it is safe to shutdown at and not coke the turbo?
Also, I have a steel tube that connects into the exhaust manifold via a threaded fitting, and goes to a sensor mounted to the coolant gooseneck. Can I mount the thermocouple for the EGT guage in a tee fitting at the threaded hole in the manifold, and plumb the sensor tube into the third leg of the tee? I was hoping that this might work, and save the trouble of drilling the manifold. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Remember that the turbocharger on the 6.7 is water cooled. I'm sure the others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 5.9 is not. We have a nice water jacket around ours, so it doesn't get nearly as hot. I usually let my engine idle about 10 seconds before shutdown, and the pyro gauge will show around 400 deg F. I have noticed that the EGT will be higher if the DPF is regenerating, so then I will wait until it drops to about 400 before shutting it down.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Joel is right the 5.9 is not water cooled and my 5.9 takes alot longer to cool down than 10 sec. More like 3-5 minutes.

Quick Reply: EGT guage install and use