Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel pressures/volumes coming out of tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 AM
hounds
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressures/volumes coming out of tank?

Wondering what the volume should be from the lift (in tank system) pump in gallons per hour or gallons per minute?
2001 24V Diesel.

I have had 2 in-tank fuel pumps go bad within a year! I think there is a bunch of crap in the tank so I am going to drop and clean it up real good and see if that cures the ailment. FUel pressure drops from 15-20psi (just after fuel filter) to ZERO within 5 minutes of driving. I have an auxilary fuel pump mounted inline. (hence the 15-20).
I have taken the in-tank assemby out and it was FULL of crap almost completely covered the screen.
I have hosed and cleaned the OLD PUMP (not tank yet)one before and simply put a new one in because I assumed the lack of fuel from the crud killed the pump.
However, I have the old one that appears to be cleaned up real good and its pumping about 1.5 gallons per minute or 7 gallons per 5 minutes is what i came up with.

The latest intank pump assembly is still under warranty and is only 4 months old!

I have a flatbed with easy access to the pump and can submerge easily in a 5G pail or whatever so I can test the volume, just need to know what its SUPPOSED to be.

Also, related to this post.
I have been searching for an aftermarket pump assembly (in tank) that pushes more fuel and pressure. IS there a product out there?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Why are you set on an intank pump? Both airdog and fass make excellent replacement lift pupms that mount on the frame and have their own filters and water seperators.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 AM
hounds
Rookie

Yeah, I'm NOT set at ALL on the supposed 'upgraded' intank lift pump.

I just put the new in-tank (under warranty) pump w/sending unit and its pumping/sucking 12-13 psi at idle and 9 1/2 to 10 under a load.
I will put back in the Summit fuel pump on frame to get it back to 15-20psi.

I just wondering what it is SUPPOSED to pump? Here we go again right? lol
Cummins says IP needs 15+psi Dodge says 10-12. HUGE discrepancy eh?
And my Bosch tech says around 12, but I wonder if they are 'influenced' by Dodge.?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Do you think its possible that your summit pump is burning up the intank pump since you are trying to suck fuel through it a a faster rate than it is designed for? I've heard that if your getting 8 psi from the factory intank pump under a load than youre doing good. I think this is the reason the the aftermarket pumps are so popular. You eliminate the intank pump by using a draw straw and never have less than 12-15 psi at full load.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
12valveman
Professional

with the charge pump in the vp44 i dont rely on pressure if it did not have its own pump you would need a charge pressure to pressurize the chamber. all i ever rely on is volume. that seems to be the critical part of this whole thing.. they intank are about 750 mL in 30 seconds minimum

Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 12valveman
with the charge pump in the vp44 i dont rely on pressure if it did not have its own pump you would need a charge pressure to pressurize the chamber. all i ever rely on is volume. that seems to be the critical part of this whole thing.. they intank are about 750 mL in 30 seconds minimum
Exactly!
Don't be so concerned with pressure.
Fuel Volume is what you need to keep your VP44 properly lubricated.
The new in tank pumps from Chrysler are lower pressure but higher volume than the original engine mounted lift pumps.
The original pressure diagnostics are not valid with the new pumps.
The new diagnostics don't even require a pressure test. It's all about fuel volume.
My notes say you should get 570ml of fuel per 10 seconds of pump run time after the fuel filter. Test it 3 times and take the average volume.
If volume it low replace the fuel filter and re test.
If still too low, replace in tank pump.

A few tech have reported pressure as low as 3 psi under heavy acceleration or load with a properly working pump.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressures/volumes coming out of tank?