Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2009 6.7 Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009 | 03:08 PM
No_Hemi
|
Default 2009 6.7 Question

I know when the 2007's came out with the 6.7 there were too many problems too list. My question is, are the 2009 6.7's any better or do they continue to be plagued with emission problems? I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a 2009, but I do not want to be in the shop more than on the road. Thanks

Old 07-10-2009 | 04:32 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

The search feature is your friend, so use it. Yes, some 6.7L owners have experienced problems, but I would not say "too many to list." There is certainly a lot of hearsay evidence of 6.7L problems; a lot of guys (like you) come on here and say "I hear the 6.7L is junk. Why should I buy one?" While there are a lot of complaints about the check engine light coming on too often, I can only think of a few guys here on the forum who have had major problems. I know one guy had his turbo replaced under warranty within the first six months.

I have not had any major trouble with my 6.7L. The only recurring trouble I have is that I'm getting fuel dilution of my oil, so I have to change it at 5,000 miles instead of extending it to a more normal 7,000 or 8,000 change interval. I have ten more months of warranty, so I intend to have the dealer check for a cracked injector.

Old 07-10-2009 | 08:51 AM
No_Hemi
|
Default Assuming

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
The search feature is your friend, so use it. Yes, some 6.7L owners have experienced problems, but I would not say "too many to list." There is certainly a lot of hearsay evidence of 6.7L problems; a lot of guys (like you) come on here and say "I hear the 6.7L is junk. Why should I buy one?" While there are a lot of complaints about the check engine light coming on too often, I can only think of a few guys here on the forum who have had major problems. I know one guy had his turbo replaced under warranty within the first six months.

I have not had any major trouble with my 6.7L. The only recurring trouble I have is that I'm getting fuel dilution of my oil, so I have to change it at 5,000 miles instead of extending it to a more normal 7,000 or 8,000 change interval. I have ten more months of warranty, so I intend to have the dealer check for a cracked injector.
Please don't always assume that anyone is "new" to forums and the features, I belong to many. With that said, I did do a search and came up with nothing for the 2009 model which is what my question is directed to. I never said the 6.7 was junk, I said there were numerous issues, and there are. I am simply asking if those issues seem to have been resolved or do they still remain with the most current model year. I do appreciate the information you provided however.

Old 07-10-2009 | 05:17 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Originally Posted by No_Hemi
Please don't always assume that anyone is "new" to forums and the features, I belong to many. With that said, I did do a search and came up with nothing for the 2009 model which is what my question is directed to. I never said the 6.7 was junk, I said there were numerous issues, and there are. I am simply asking if those issues seem to have been resolved or do they still remain with the most current model year. I do appreciate the information you provided however.
Okay, I'll capitulate. Thank you for informing us of your expertise with forums and features.

I know you said there are too many problems to list with the 6.7L Cummins, but I would appreciate it if you would list just the top five or six. I've been on this forum for more than two years, and I think I was the first forum member to buy a Dodge Ram with the 6.7L Cummins. I cannot think of more than a handful of issues, mostly related to the DPF loading up with soot or the turbocharger.

The main way for Dodge to resolve the issues with the 6.7L engine is with software updates, so they are applied to older trucks by way of recall. If you buy a 2009 you will get the latest software update, but otherwise I understand there are no changes for the model year. Perhaps someone else here has more information for you?

Old 07-12-2009 | 02:59 AM
hunter2070

with 57000 miles on my 2008 6.7L the only problem i have had is that my EGR valve had build up in it and kept sticking open. so i took it off and cleaned it and slapped it back on no big deal..... and thats just because i am runnin low sulphur diesel fuel from a company tank instead of the recommended "ultra" low sulphur diesel.....

Quick Reply: 2009 6.7 Question