Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Thinking of buying diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
tazman6789
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying diesel

Looking at an 01 dodge 24v diesel 4x4 slt, crew cab short bed. Truck looks spotless just a little bit of damage on the front bumper. Ive read through alot of the forums in here about the difference between 12 and 24. Besides the 53 blocks is there anything else i should be looking for on this truck? i work at a shop so i know to check the usual things brakes, and ball joints shocks u joints. Truck has sliding windows, power windows and locks, cruise control, factory cd player, drop in bed liner. Looks really clean in pictures. Is 13,995 a fair asking price from the dealership? or should i try to knock it down. Also what kind of fuel millage is this truck going to get? after i buy and save some money ill be looking into mods. What kinda power increases should i expect? what mods would u suggest first? currently own a 00 ram 1500 and love it to death but shes getting up there in millage and things starting to turn up and realy want a crew cab and a diesel.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

I would check the tranny and make sure it has been serviced or replaced. Check the front end ball joints like you said. As far as mods, usually the first ones are guages, cold air intake and exhaust systems upgrades. A programmer will help with mpgs and power but you have to be carefully on how much power you set it on due to the chance of ruining your tranny. As far as mileage goes. Each truck is different. I got 15/16 stock and now get 18/19 with a programmer. I drilled holes in my airbox to get more in and added an after market airfilter. Steve and coal train can help you with more as they seem to be the pros on these trucks. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM
gales73
Rookie

My truck before putting straight pipe on it got almost 25 to 27 highway. I could go from Columbus Oh to Cleveland Oh on a quater tank or less.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying diesel