Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Please help, please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 AM
BimmerM3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, please!!!

I have finally accepted the fact that my e46 M3 will always have electrical and mechanical problems, but now I my trustworthy Dodge Ram broke down. So here is the issue: Tried to start the truck, it started worked for about 2 minutes and then the engine stopped working, and blue smoke came out of the exhaust pipe. Tried again and it will not start. The car is 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel. Please guys help me find the problem, any ideas you have what caused this please share it. Thanks, greatly appreciate it.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

Check your lift pump. Sounds like your not getting fuel. Coal train or steve should be on here soon as they seem to be the experts.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
lesimon
Professional

Check fuel level, then check fuel filter/Replace, Check fuel pump remove fuel line and actuate pump, is it pumping fuel.
Check battery voltage is the voltage is too low under 11.5 Volts, fuel solenoid will not openif the voltage is low,
If the engine is getting fuel and the timing is correct it should run, most of the time with diesel engines the problem is fuel. The diesel engine works on compression ignition, the air fuel mixture in the engine combustion chamber is compressed which increases the temperature until spontaneous combustion occurs. The only way to stop this compression ignition cycle is to shut off the fuel supply. Good luck

Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

sounds like your injection pump has gone bye-bye... have a shop check the output of the injection pump

Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 AM
BimmerM3

Originally Posted by lesimon
Check fuel level, then check fuel filter/Replace, Check fuel pump remove fuel line and actuate pump, is it pumping fuel.
Check battery voltage is the voltage is too low under 11.5 Volts, fuel solenoid will not openif the voltage is low,
If the engine is getting fuel and the timing is correct it should run, most of the time with diesel engines the problem is fuel. The diesel engine works on compression ignition, the air fuel mixture in the engine combustion chamber is compressed which increases the temperature until spontaneous combustion occurs. The only way to stop this compression ignition cycle is to shut off the fuel supply. Good luck
thanks, appreciate it, is there any instructions how to change a the fuel filter

Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Coal Train
All Star

First, are you getting any codes? Is the CEL on?

It would be nice if it was a fuel filter, BUT at this point, I'm gonna say that your VP44 took a dump. More than likely because your lift pump took a dump before that.

Go out to the truck and try this.....

Turn the key to run and bump the starter.....just for a a second, then leave it in the run position. This will make the lift pump cycle on for 20 seconds. You'll be able to hear it if it's running.

If you don't hear the lift pump, there's one problem and that leads into the next problem.

What I'm betting is that your gonna find the dreaded P0216 code, Injection Pump Timing Failure.

If you do, this is the expensive one. A new VP will cost ya about a grand.

IF you hear the lift pump running, THEN it may be something simple like the fuel filter or a loose connection at the VP. Check the wiring going to the injection pump and make sure it's connected and the insulation isn't broken.

Pull the fuel filter. It's on the driver side of the engine, toward the back, you'll see what looks like a canister with a black, screw off lid. Undo the lid, pull the filter out (make sure you get the o-ring) put a new one in.

With a VP44, you'll need to prime the fuel system, other wise it won't start.

Last edited by Coal Train; 08-06-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 PM
12valvefatass

Free Advice: Dump the M3 ASAP! Go find your self a good Audi S4 or S5 and learn the beauty of AWD as a performance option. What's the difference between a BMW and a Porcupine?....The porcupine carries it's ****** on the outside!