Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

oil level problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM
zataratous
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil level problems

Hello i am a new member here, and all so a new owner of a 08 ram 2500 4x4 6.7 diesel truck. I recently checked my oil and noticed that it had more in it than the previous time i checked it, so i figured maybe the ground was unlevel, but as time went on it kept increasing. Until i changed it and i was still not sure what had happend so only filled the oil level up to the "u" in usa on the back of the stick after 800 miles my level was up to the 'a' on usa. I drove the truck to the dealer and told the service advisor what was going on and he asked me if i had the truck in park or nuetral when i checked the oil. That really got me wooried.

Has anyone ever had this problem or know anything about this?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep an eye on it.
It might be slightly over filled. If the level is higher after sitting for a while it's just the oil running down from the top end.
If it really over full its possible you have a fuel leak under the valve cover and the leaking fuel is mixing with the oil thus increasing the level.
keep an eye on it.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 AM
lesimon
Professional

Have an engine oil analysis done on the engine oil. This will ensure you do not have fuel in the oil and if it does the dealers cant argue. Engine oil analysis would be positive proof if the was fuel in the engine oil. Oil analysis runs less than $20. Just ensure that you have run the engine for 500-1000km after your last oil change, or when you noticed a definate rise in the oil level.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:47 PM
zataratous

thanks for ya'lls input, i will have an oil analysis done.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get my anaylsis from Blackstone (www.blackstone-labs.com)
They'll even send you a free sample kit.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 AM
pizzo
All Star

That has happened to me at work. Get your oil sample done ASAP. If their is a problem. The oil sample comes back as it has large amounts of fuel in it. Hopefully you haven't racked up the miles past warranty. Take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. If you have then leave the dealer and take it to a Cummins dealer and let them work on it. The spotter that it happened to me at my work was under warranty so it got taken to Cummins. I couldnt tell you what was wrong with it I never bothered to ask sorry.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
zataratous

well i got my truck back from allen samuels dodge today. I was told this morning by the tech that when you change the oil in these engines you have to remove the filler cap during the drain time, because it has a ccv on it if not it can hold oil and not drain out, I know that is BS because i let the oil drain for three hours. he told me the rason it was too full because I did not drain it all out. wrong I just agreed and thought to myself I'll have an oil analysis don and see what happens. I ended up getting my truck later this after noon and when I got the paperwork it said"
"inspected for internal fuel leaks none found, inspected star on line for casesfoundcase for concern. condition considered normal engine operation, slight increase in oil level is caused by the regeneration cycle for the particulate filter .see star on line case." I copied that from the invoice word for word. this morning it was my fault and 7 hours later its the regen. and it is normal to dilute oil with fuel. also I get no mesages that the truck is in or needs to be in regen mode. does anyone know a dodge service dept. in texas worth a darn?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
pizzo
All Star

If i am understanding what you typed. paper said that the regen is causing the oil to be mixed with diesel fuel. And that's normal? That's not normal my friend. Ask the service tech if they was trained by Cummins or dodge?
then laugh and tell them they are idiots.
next time you do a oil change do this in these steps
drain your oil, With a different clean bucket stick under the drain, Turn engine in the on position (without starting engine cause their is not any engine oil) just so the electric pump will turn on. leave it sit till the pump turns off then turn back on several times. this may take 45 mins of turning on and off. look in your bucket and see if there is any diesel fuel in it.
This is the normal practice At my work and also a update from Cummins. I have laptop and Insite that i can turn on the pump and leave it on for 5 mins at a time. Your truck the pump may run for 30 seconds or a 1 min.
If it is leaking I would call a Cummins dealer in texas and ask them What to do also here is a dealer in FT Worth Texas for cummins (817) 624-2107
you will need your serial number also
hope this helps
pizzo

Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 PM
zataratous

thanks pizzo i really appreciate your help.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 PM
zataratous

do you work for cummins?

Quick Reply: oil level problems