Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

new dodge owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM
lslv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new dodge owner with questions

hello i am a new owner of 2009 2500 6.7 liter and have some questions. what is the best intake for whistle noise and are the dpf back exhaust worth it and do they make it any louder? i am a former 6.0 ford owner and straight pipe exhaust was very load and i miss it.. also any advice on that year motor and maintance would be appreciated . thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

Try the BHAF or ******* whistler. You can look up both of those and it's cheaper than buying an after market intake. Makes the engine sound like an f-16

Old 08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
hunter2070

im still tryin to find a way to make mine whistle louder as well. but as far as exhausts go take it from me.. i am still fooling with my exhaust..... you could cut the exhaust off at the downpipe and the thing still isnt half as loud as what you would think it would be or as loud as a 5.9 for that matter. i had a straight pipe on mine and it sounded real good when you got on it but just ideling it sounded normal.. so yes a dpf back exhaust would definitely be a waste of time. i only have the dpf and "one" cat in mine now and it still sounds stock. if you delete your egr i would go with a straight pipe hands down.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Coal Train
All Star

The 6.7's are naturally quieter than the 5.9's due to the 4th injection event. Same reason the common rails got quieter than the 24V's and the 24's were quieter than the 12V's.

They add the injection events before and after the main injection pulse to decrease the cylinder pressure spike. That spike is what causes the diesel "rattle".

Even with a straight pipe, a 6.7 isn't as loud as a 5.9. Now, the exhaust brake will scream, that's for sure.

As for the whistling. Removing the silencer on the 6.7's VGT nozzle is a PITA. There have been a lot of guys that have screwed it up. It's not like popping the ring out of a 5.9. You have to drill the pins out.

But, if you want the temps down and the mileage up, get rid of that DPF and EGR crap. You'll see MUCH improved mileage and lower EGT's.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 PM
hunter2070

you sound like somebody that knows what they're talkin about..... "strictly mechanical" minus all the emissions crap that can be easily taken care of, i'd like to know your thoughts on a 5.9 vs. a 6.7. Like you were talkin about the common rails and the 4th event. what is your preference when it comes to all this stuff.. I was just wanderin its better to learn stuff from other people who are in the same shoes.....

Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Honestly, the 6.7 is proving to be a great engine........ONCE YOU REMOVE THE EMISSIONS GARBAGE.

That's what keeps fouling up the turbo and causing a majority of the problems.

Once the emission crap is gone, the mileage goes up significantly. To the tune of 3+ MPG.

As far as which I like better, the 5.9 vs 6.7.................I'm a 5.9 guy. The 5.9 has been around for 20 years and the aftermarket for it is huge.

The 6.7 is comin' along just fine, but with the addition of the killer code that is on the Mar '09 and later 6.7's, it's getting harder and harder to crank them up.

Quick Reply: new dodge owner with questions