Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New UK member needs advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 PM
glenn240861
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New UK member needs advice please

Hi to everyone and what a great site.

I live in the UK and have joined the site to learn about the ram, just to explain why i am here.

I am in the process of importing a 5th wheel (10,000lbs) to live in over here and am told the best truck to buy for towing here and in Europe is either the 2500 or 3500 diesel.

I would really appreciate you guys giving me advice as to what i should buy regarding reliability etc.

Looking at the RAM's i prefer the shape of the 98 model more than the later generation, I also intend to run it on biodiesel and install a heated system for WVO as diesel here is around $8.00 a gallon.

Any advice would really be appreciated as I am unsure about axle ratio like the 3.54 and 4.10. I would also like to buy a manual rather than an auto as it seems by the adverts i have been looking at the auto's seem to have problems around 150k miles.

Again thanks for any info you can give me in advance

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

welcome to DF...

2 things to keep in mind on that year... the vp44 injection pump needs lots of lubrication. bio will help alot and I think (not 100% sure) it should be all you need. If no bio, add 16~24 oz (depending on tank size) of 2 stroke oil to the tank.

2nd, the 24 valves up to 2001~2002 had a block that was prone to cracking. not all crack... they are stamped with a 53 on the block... some light reading can be found here... http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

12 valve motors are supposed to be pretty much bullet proof. they stopped in '97 IIRC.

good luck with the search...

Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 PM
pizzo
All Star

I have found that biodiesel you get bad MPG's or in your case KPL lol
but at 8 bucks a gallon it would be worth it.
As far as reliability I would stick with dodge ram with cummins turbo diesel. They do have dealers in the UK for cummins engines so parts are easy for you to get. If you bought a Ford or Chevy I do not know if they export the diesel engines or parts. You may have to order from US and that could take weeks to get to you. Also get the manual trans I have the automatic and I wonder when its going to go at anytime.
Are you Importing a Camper or a Truck? If your importing either one, They don't make them in Europe?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:45 AM
glenn240861

Hi guys and thanks for the help so far.

I am importing a Forest Creek from USA as the European things just dont come up to the grade as far as American 5th wheels are concerned. They are more expensive and just not as well made.

This has then led me to needing a truck to tow it with and no European/Jap can handle these things. We have tried but ended up with buckled cabs etc. I am now looking to buy and Import a dodge from USA.

I was told to go for a dodge diesel as they will pull a house down as far as we are concerned but as mentioned before I dont know a great deal about them. I know the VP44 can be a problem when used with heated SVO/WVO and as I want to tow around Europe next year around 5000 miles wanted a tough truck thats not to complicated.

Thanks again for the help so far, please keep the advice coming

Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

You have picked a very nice 5th wheel. Forrest River is great and well respected. They are also very heavy and I would suggest that you get a 3500 to pull it with. The 2500 will do the job, but you will be more stable with the 3500. If you want simple reliability that can burn just about anything, then a 12 valve P-pump engine will fit that perfectly. The truck it will be in is going to be aging and have other issues that go along with that age. I have run bio in my current CR truck with great results, but I would NOT run SVO / WVO in it ever. I can tell you this, the 6 speed manual in my truck by far shifts nicer then any truck I've driven, and is geared perfectly for towing. Happy hunting, and post up some pics when you find your truck. BTW, if you happen to locate a truck in western South Carolina and want someone to go put eyes on it and test drive it, let me know.

Quick Reply: New UK member needs advice please