Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What is done to your Cummins Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 AM
12valvefatass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pizzo,

If you are seeking a good alternative to the RP and Amsoil, I can highly reccomend BG 15-40 Diesel fleet oil. BG will only be available through professional shops, but anybody who knows BG will tell you, that they make the best detergents for keeping an engine clean. The BG fleet oil is designed for over the road tractors to go extended distances between changes. Been using it since 1998 and I have never seen oil pressures below 40 for whatever reason. Its not cheap but you get what you pay for.

About 8 years ago, when my cummins reached the age of 7 years and 1 month, it spit out a dowel pin from the timing cover and punched a hole the size of a baseball in the side of my timing cover. Sounds like a minor fix, but this cummins has a one piece cam and cam gear which means the cam has to be pulled to replace the cover. This is a somewhat big job that invovles more than a little tear down. The shop that did the work commented on how clean the inside of my engine was. They stated that it looked like it was new even though it had 80k+ miles on it.

Quick Reply: What is done to your Cummins Turbo Diesel