Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Alternate method for front U-joint lubrication?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 PM
SmilingDon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate method for front U-joint lubrication?

Hello,
Today I lubed the front U-joint on my '08 2500 Ram 4X4. The thread on how to do this in the DIY section was very informative on the location of this lube point. When I got under the truck, with the cross member in the way, etc., it was difficult to see the lube point let alone get the special needle in it and fill the joint. After several failed attempts, I decided it would be easier to remove the drive shaft and lube it off of the truck. This way I could bend the joint open and gain better access to the lube point. While I had the drive shaft off of the truck I noticed that the joint has a rubber boot on the back side of it to contain the grease.
My question is; Does anyone see a problem in sliding the grease needle under the rubber boot (while being careful not to tear it) on the back side of the joint, and pumping grease into the joint to lube it? After putting the drive shaft back in the truck, I could see where this could be done with less hassle than trying to fill though the lube point. Also, when lubing the lube point, it is hard to tell how much grease is getting into the joint vs. how much is blobbing out on the outside of the joint. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Quick Reply: Alternate method for front U-joint lubrication?