Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Poor Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 PM
3500reddragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Acceleration

Hello all,

My 1998.5 24v cummins is accelerating sluggishly. I had the standard exhaust manifold leak and just replaced it with an ATS 3 piece today. I figured that this would solve the problem. The turbo looked OK and there weren't any obvious signs of problems. It runs a bit better, but is no where near the way it used to be. There is no black smoke or other obvious symptoms, just a general lack of power. You can hear the turbo trying to spool up but it just doesn't build boost like it used to.

The truck has just under 200K on it and Ihave always completed standard maintenance. I thought that maybe the injectors were bad, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've read as there is no dark smoke, smell of fuel, or bad idle. I'm sure that the injectors are due to be replaced pretty soon, but I don't think that is the current problem.

I saw a post here about a similar problem where the plastic housing for the turbo boost sensor was loose, or something to that effect. I plan on checking this the next time I get to my yard.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 AM
3500reddragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever experienced wastegate and/or actuator malfunction in 98.5-02 CTD? If so, what are the symptoms? I am trying to pinpoint the problem.

I read on a post by tski that he had a loose plastic housing on his boost sensor, replaced it, and this solved a similar problem. Just trying to make a list of things to check. Again, all the standard things are OK, no smoke, smell of diesel, idle is OK, fuel filter is very new, etc.

Quick Reply: Poor Acceleration