Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Looking for less black smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM
SandDuner801
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coal Train
Even though the Edge is a stand alone module, it still leaves a few tell tale signs that it's there.

1 - It occassionally sets a soft code for Invalid SKM Key. This is a pretty common one on stand alone modules.

2 - The biggest give away is the load % on the DBR or StarScan. When I have my Edge running, part of the fooling it does is tell the ECM that engine is under less load than it really is. According to ECM, my truck has never seen more than 60% load or throttle.
3 - There needs to be a spot drilled and tapped for the EGT probe. Can't really hide that.
Figured that lol. . . Thanks well i am going to take the edge off and have it flashed tonight and see where we stand after that. Thanks for all your input guys, it been a big help.

I will let you know what happens.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 PM
SandDuner801
Default $!@#$@#!

Ok so i took off the edge w/attitude and took it into the dealer to have it flashed with the latest software. Got that done and when i left i dealer the truck ran GREAT, I was sure i solved the problem drove great the whole weekend.

Then i jumped into it today to come to work, sure enough black smoke hazing out while crusing and i noticed a pretty substantial loss of power!

Here's the plan now though, I have a buddy that works for Elite Customs in ogden and he said he's good friends with a couple guys at Edge, and i guess that have a machine over there that will give a detailed readout of what my engine is doing. So i have to throw the edge back on and take it over to them to see if its a engine management issue.

This is turning into a joke!

Anyone have any other thoughts or input? Its always appreciated!

Last edited by SandDuner801; 09-28-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Ok, I have a few thoughts for you. 1st, if your trying ot get back to stock conditions do that, leave all mods alone until you are sure it is acting right. Second, now that you are sure you have stock tuning start troubleshooting with simple stuff first. Black smoke and loss of power indicate one of 2 things, too much fuel or too little air. The '05 trucks came with an charge air cooler that had plastic ends on it and they are known to leak. A boost leak could cause your issues. After confirming that the CAC doesn't leak I would go through the entire intake system and look for leaks there. If you don't find leaks in the intake, then injectors is the next place to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Good call, Nick!

Those end tanks are one of the problem spots.

If you want an easy way to check around all the boots for cracking, just use a squirt bottle of soapy water and spray the areas you want to check.

You may need someone in the truck to tap the throttle a bit to get some pressure, but if there's a leak, it will bubble up.

Last edited by Coal Train; 09-29-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:55 PM
SandDuner801

Originally Posted by NickBeek
Ok, I have a few thoughts for you. 1st, if your trying ot get back to stock conditions do that, leave all mods alone until you are sure it is acting right. Second, now that you are sure you have stock tuning start troubleshooting with simple stuff first. Black smoke and loss of power indicate one of 2 things, too much fuel or too little air. The '05 trucks came with an charge air cooler that had plastic ends on it and they are known to leak. A boost leak could cause your issues. After confirming that the CAC doesn't leak I would go through the entire intake system and look for leaks there. If you don't find leaks in the intake, then injectors is the next place to go. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the thoughts. . . Just help fill me in a little more here. I will look into the plastic connectors (i've been meaning to get to that anyways) but my edge is still telling me i am getting ample boost (6-11 on the freeway and 35-38 at WOT). Now my question is how does it make that determination? Does it take it off of throttle position and where the boost should be at? Or does it read it off of a actual sensor? and if so which sensor? . . . . I have also been thinking and i wonder if maybe i dont have a shot MAP sensor to. Something else to look into?

And anyone know a good place to buy metal replacement for the plastic ends on the CAC?

Last edited by SandDuner801; 09-29-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I am not sure where the Edge gets it boost numbers, it may hook into the factory MAP/IAT sensor. If it does you should be able to follow the wiring harness from the MAP/IAT sensor to the Edge box. The MAP/IAT sensor is located on the drivers side bolted to the intake next to the valve cover about 3/4 of the way back.

The plastic ends are part of the CAC and the whole cooler would need to be replaced I believe. The CAC is just like a radiator it has aluminum heat exchangers, but on '05 trucks they went with plastic end tanks and they had trouble with them. In '06 they went back to an all aluminum design.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Coal Train
All Star

The Edge does hook to the factory MAP sensor.

Looking from the front of the the truck, it's just aft of the intake horn, located on the intake manifold cover.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
SandDuner801
Talking

Ok well i had some extra time tonight so i pulled off my K&N and decided to do a leak check on the CAC hoses. Sure enough, it was leaking in two spots right off of the turbocharger outlet.

So i patched that guy up real quick and i figured while i was at it that i would check the MAP sensor. So i pulled it out, whipped open my Haynes manual and THEN found out that they dont give the terminal names or what the resistance is suppose to be.

Does anyone know off the top of there heads how I can test this guy or what resistances the termainals should be? I know there like $110 for this itty bitty sensor (which blows) or i wouldn't even bother going through the hassle of testing it.

Thanks guys

Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 AM
raydelcorro

Its probably your DPF filter that is clogged. Consider a DPF(diesel particulate filter) delete kit along with the egr. Which cycles the exhaust back into the engine. A really wonderfully stupid design.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:14 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Holy thread resurrection Batman. Over 4 yrs old. I would hope the OP figured it out since then. I hate threads where someone had a problem and never posts up the solution.

Quick Reply: Looking for less black smoke!