Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 PM
pizzo
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

started off today 8 am opening the doors to my buddies trans shop. It started acting up a few days ago. When it shifted gears it changed gears but it shifted funny. The trans oil was changed about two weeks ago to transyn.
after about four hours of looking and cleaning grounds. I burnt up the torque converter. I am not sure if the regular trans fluid to transyn had anything to do with it and so we took and put the stock converter back in added new transyn. Drives good but I need a new converter the stock on won't hold up to bully dog on extreme too long. I was looking around at three different ones
Banks Billet, ATS five star, ATS triple lock. I think the five star is the best option with 5 discs. I was hoping that someone on here had one to see what they like or dislike about it.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Coal Train
All Star

You choice in TC's is gonna depend on usage and how you want it to feel during acceleration.

If you tow heavy, my first choice would be the 5 star. It's got a softer engagement than the triple disk converters do, so it won't jar you or the load so bad.

For triple disk converters, you can't go wrong with SunCoast or Goerend.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:03 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Default Hell No to ATS

ATS sucks. The converters i had in my tranny blew right after the imput shaft did. The company is a fing joke. They'll screw you over if anything happens to it. I highly recommend any other besides them. I heard good things about suncoast.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by hottrodder67
ATS sucks. The converters i had in my tranny blew right after the imput shaft did. The company is a fing joke. They'll screw you over if anything happens to it. I highly recommend any other besides them. I heard good things about suncoast.
did you have the five star or triple disc?????

Old 10-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Coal Train
All Star

If the input shaft grenaded, then it sent metal fragments into the rest of the tranny, including the TC.

Not surprising that failed.

I know you had issues with ATS, so I'm not gonna go on about that. Everybody has had dealings with certain company's that just rub them the wrong way and I'm certainly no different. I have a few companies that I refuse the do business with.

Just remember, NOBODY is perfect.

Now, on the flip side.

One of the trucks I built is running an ATS Stage IV tranny w/ a 5 Star TC and putting 625 HP to the ground through it. Tows a 16K lb 5'vr with it and has zero issues.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
hottrodder67
Professional

it was a 5 star and it was brand new from when the input shaft snapped.

Quick Reply: transmission problems