Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dash almost burst into flames.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Cummins12Valve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dash almost burst into flames.....

me and the old Dodge went moose Hunting in prince george about 100km down a logging road, first night in at 2am I smelled something burning, ever since I hit the gravel somthing didnt smell right in the truck, eventually I smelled burning wiring, my rig had the camper and was filled to the gills with 3 weeks of gear, so when I realized what was goin on I didnt even put it in neutral I just slammed the brakes and shut er off, then started gettin all my gear out, the cab stunk like burning wiring and I was waiting for the smoke and the eventual loss of my truck/ camper, I wasn;t gonna wait for that to happen so i got my toolkit out and tore the dash off and removed the switch, I lost 2 fingerprints getting it out, there was no burn marks on the switch but it was starting to melt and the wiring was beggining to melt aswell was probally seconds from igniting. I just used my hazzards for the light for rest of the trip and had no problems

on the way home got caught 4 hours from my driveway in darkness and had to use my headlights, they immediatly got extremely hot so I had to stop and wait for daylight to drive, after i got home I went to the wrecker and got a new headlight switch only to have the same thing happen!
so i guess its not the switch

I dont know much about wiring in vehicles and I am quite worried about my truck
also I was playing with it a little bit today and it seemed to not get hot when the dash lights were shut off, im not sure though I didn't have much time with it, and that road was in horrible shape and my truck has a 2 ton suspension so could that maybe be a factor?

not sure what has happened, thrown a ground maybe??

thanks

Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Cummins12Valve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?

Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i had a simial problem with my lighting, an had 2 wires melt, and it was all due to a ground at the rear of the chassis

so check all your grounds, from front to back

Quick Reply: Dash almost burst into flames.....