Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

12V lift pump or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
racer9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Aaronon38s
Rookie

Great link. It does say to just remove and discard the fuel heater from the heater/pre-filter setup. Has anybody done this and is this a good idea? I just ordered a bunch of replacement parts due to the connectors to my heater were fried and might be causing leaks. Also noticed my heater relay is gone (could have been gone since I bought it 4 years ago).
My next plan is gonna be replacing lift pump o-rings and checking fuel lines at tank.
One more question: do I need to loosen all 6 injector lines when bleeding air out of system or can I just do the one easy one on the end?

Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM
racer9
Veteran

I've never had to loosen injector lines at all. One or two should be plenty. Once it starts, the air will work itself out.
If you buy quality fuel and add anti-gel, you probably can get away without it. By the time it heats the fuel and the warm fuel gets through the filter it has already cooled.
Hold off on replacing the lift pump until you replace the fuel supply lines. You can use rubber all the way from the tank, just get good diesel rated fuel line, not the cheap gas line from the parts store. 3/8" for the supply side 5/16" for the return.
Mine had rubbed through the braided line under the floor.
When priming, find a short piece of broomstick to push the primer button. It's way more easier.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Aaronon38s
Rookie

It lives again! I replaced the seal on the fuel heater/pre-filter and completely removed the heating element. Fired right up. The leak on the heater was un-noticable to naked eye but I am pretty sure this is what caused it because the wires were completely fried.
Thanks for the help and input guys. I would've been replacing the lift pump on first impulse without you. Now my repair only cost me $24 (after repair shop donation).

Quick Reply: 12V lift pump or turbo?